What's new

Solved Win 10 mail app??? Is it designed to make you break, give in and get outlook?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just to balance the arc of this thread, the only Win32 Applications I use on my Surface Devices is Office 365 Pro Plus (2016) and 7zip, everything else is a WinRT app and they work great.

With every update the calendar and mail app have become significantly better. Mail app in particular was a bit problematic but since the last update I literally have 0 complaints. Wish I could say the same for all the other Microsoft apps though..

SeanP

I cannot figure out how to get my outlook to even work properly. We use Google Apps for business so it won't auto set up and configuring it has been a pain.

The ONLY reason I use Chrome on SB is due to the fact we have gmail addresses for work. I use a plugin that only works on Chrome for now.

Wish Google would figure out how to reduce the energy consumption of Chrome.

The Mail app itself isn't terrible but the problem I find is that for whatever reason, when I open mail on my phone, it doesn't register in the mail app until 15-20 min later and vise versa.

crp852

As others, above, mention, I've found the Mail App significantly more stable and useful from recent builds (I'm on 10586 now).

But, the one thing that annoys me about Mail is that, unlike ANY other desktop email app I'm familiar with, if you're using a keyboard and are looking at the list of your emails, double-clicking on a particular message in Mail causes the "View message contents" pane to disappear.

Any other email app I've used, including Outlook and the web clients for hotmail, Outlook.com, Thunderbird, etc., if you double-click on a message in the message list view, the contents of that message are displayed.

It's minor, but aggravating, because Mail handles the action differently from any other email client.

crp

Wayne Orwig

But, the one thing that annoys me about Mail is that, unlike ANY other desktop email app I'm familiar with, if you're using a keyboard and are looking at the list of your emails, double-clicking on a particular message in Mail causes the "View message contents" pane to disappear.

I thought it was just me. :)
Often I click on an email to mark it as read, and it disappears instead. :mad:

TeknoBlast

I hardly use the Mail app. The issue with me is that, my Inbox (Outlook.com) can have three or so messages, but when I open the Mail app, there's a listing of email messages that are not even suppose to be in the Inbox. They've been deleted ages ago. Even if I sit through the syncing process, those email never go away from the Mail app's Inbox.

Orlbuckeye

I hardly use the Mail app. The issue with me is that, my Inbox (Outlook.com) can have three or so messages, but when I open the Mail app, there's a listing of email messages that are not even suppose to be in the Inbox. They've been deleted ages ago. Even if I sit through the syncing process, those email never go away from the Mail app's Inbox.

What type email account do you have? If you have POP3 the email is on the server and downloaded to your client when you log in. It stays on your server depending on your setting. IMAP the email is on the server and not downloaded to your client. You view the email on the server with the client. I'm guessing you have POP3.

ncameron

Alternatively you could actually have an IMAP Outlook account and accidentally set it up under the POP3 protocol - what I did for the first day, and couldn't understand why it wasn't working properly. Doh. If so, just delete the account and kick it off properly.

TeknoBlast

What type email account do you have? If you have POP3 the email is on the server and downloaded to your client when you log in. It stays on your server depending on your setting. IMAP the email is on the server and not downloaded to your client. You view the email on the server with the client. I'm guessing you have POP3.

I'm using whatever Outlook.com is based off of.