What's new

Windows 10 and Metro Interface Win 8.1

ONeill29

I went to windows 10 a few time ago but reinstal windows 8.1 after because I have some bugs. I will do the upgrade in october.

The desktop/laptop mode was really fine but I wasn't captivate by the Métro Interface. Indeed I prefer Win 8.1 metro interface.

So I need your help to know if I can have a metro interface win 10 like the metro interface of win8.1 and with the continuum mode.

I find the metro win10 interface weird because ;
  • first the tiles have nearly the same colour (a sort of grey) and I can't change the colour of a tile (all tiles blue or yellow, etc)
  • The list of apps is at the left whereas I find the list of apps (under the metro interface) in Win8.1 very pleasant
So Can I fixe this points and have also a desktop mode with the start button like in windows 7 ??

Thanks for your answers

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You cannot get the Metro Interface of tiles as you describe with Windows 10. And tiles cannot be individually colored.

Microsoft has made these changes according to the overall customer feedback. Perhaps some Windows 8.1 features will be added as options in the future, but this is not likely.

OP
O

ONeill29

Yes However when you click on the start button you have the metro 8.1 but I would the start button and when I am in tablett mode (with continuum) this interface but it is not possible in this case.

With this manipulation I have the start menu 8.1 when I click on the windows button...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You cannot get the Metro Interface of tiles as you describe with Windows 10. And tiles cannot be individually colored.

Microsoft has made these changes according to the overall customer feedback. Perhaps some Windows 8.1 features will be added as options in the future, but this is not likely.
Id really like to meet the customers they get this feedback from :rolleyes:
and Id like to see the questions they asked/options for answers. :)
A good pollster can get any answer they want. Or maybe that's a not so good pollster depending on your perspective.

Do you prefer to: A. beat your dog B. kick it?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might surprise you but many people DO like it and prefer it to 8.1... but I guess we were all just tricked by a rigged poll?

OP
O

ONeill29

I really prefer the 8.1 interface (when you are in touchpad of course). Indeed in desktop/laptop mode it's not ergonomic but in tablett it is. I'm not lying when I say that I prefer this interface contrary to windows 10 interface touchpad.

stlbud

Id really like to meet the customers they get this feedback from :rolleyes:
and Id like to see the questions they asked/options for answers. :)
A good pollster can get any answer they want. Or maybe that's a not so good pollster depending on your perspective.

Do you prefer to: A. beat your dog B. kick it?
Couldn't agree more (I feel like that kicked dog, by the way). It's possible too, the people who like Windows 8.1 weren't loud enough to get the message across.

Windows 10 is a huge disappointment for someone like me who wanted a tablet instead of a laptop. Windows 8.1 wasn't perfect but it still works much better than Windows 10. Sadly, I believe the day of the Metro (Modern) app is dead and gone. I can't imagine any developer working in under the constraints of that environment if they can just work with old windows.

Unfortunately for tablet only users, you are the overwhelming minority. Microsoft had to strike a balance that was intelligent for the company. Windows 10 lays a great foundation for that. They have made it very obvious they are listening to every user. Use the feedback app and suggest your changes. They've made countless throughout this dev process because of us.