What's new

Solved Windows 10 battery drain, help needed with sleep study.

Sassi

Hi,

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my surface battery has been dropping 50% overnight. I did the sleepstudy report and it seems to alternate between:

USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC)
and
Under the PDC phases it says no CS phase. (looking further down the list this has happened twice, before that it was mainly the first reason)

Does anyone have any idea what these are?

many thanks

Sassi

Hi,

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my surface battery has been dropping 50% overnight. I did the sleepstudy report and it seems to alternate between:

USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC)
and
Under the PDC phases it says no CS phase. (looking further down the list this has happened twice, before that it was mainly the first reason)

Does anyone have any idea what these are?

many thanks

Sassi
Keep digging down on the Host Controller. You will eventually get to something recognizable. Then post that here.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader (USB\VID_0BDA&PID_0307&REV_0129)

this was the last thing in the collapsible readout.

so is this the reader for the SD card I have in there? I noticed a couple of other people had issues with SD cards after Windows 10

many thanks.

Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader (USB\VID_0BDA&PID_0307&REV_0129)

this was the last thing in the collapsible readout.

so is this the reader for the SD card I have in there? I noticed a couple of other people had issues with SD cards after Windows 10

many thanks.
This is exactly the issue I had. Unfortunately the temp fix for me was to remove the SD card. I now have normal battery life with it removed. I believe MS is working on this but not sure the details.

Edit: Here is a thread from a Microsoft MVP stating that Microsoft is aware of the SD card battery drain and are working on a driver fix. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...y/4748e5e4-a8b1-4b58-bb00-9cc4d1ad9fc3?page=1

Last edited:

Weetobix

Update: I removed and reinserted the micro SD card from my Surface Pro 3 and since then it has been behaving - am currently on 75% battery after 24 hours, whereas before I had to recharge every day.

Update: I removed and reinserted the micro SD card from my Surface Pro 3 and since then it has been behaving - am currently on 75% battery after 24 hours, whereas before I had to recharge every day.
Was this after installing the 3 latest KB's from MS. They were released yesterday. I am trying to determine, giving the lack of documentation, if they fix the SD card issue.

Weetobix

Was this after installing the 3 latest KB's from MS. They were released yesterday. I am trying to determine, giving the lack of documentation, if they fix the SD card issue.

Hard to say as I don't have it with me right now. My surface is set to do automatic updates and I started the experiment yesterday morning (27 August 2015), so it may be that or it may be that removing and reinserting the micro sd card sorted the sd card reader/usb controller issue

Well I can say they did not fix the issue with SD Cards yet again. I just put my SD card in and let the device sit for an hour, down to 75%.

This is getting quite embarrassing that they can't even fix the most visible bugs on their flagship device.