What's new

Windows 10 Briefing Part 1: Free for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Users

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
if windows 10 is a yearly subscription? then I'm going to stick to my win 7-8.1 thank you very much!!!
Again we are getting the message wrong... you can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE forever IF you upgrade within one year of the release regardless if you're running Win7 or Win8 or WP 8.1. Correct me if I still got it wrong :)

malberttoo

if windows 10 is a yearly subscription? then I'm going to stick to my win 7-8.1 thank you very much!!!

Yearly? I could even see them doing monthly, say like $4/month. At that price, they'd still be getting $48/year, and on average if a person keeps a machine for 3 or 4 years, then Microsoft is making more now than they did selling one-time licenses.

But yeah I'm no fan of the "Windows as a service". As sales models go, it's not consumer-friendly.

malberttoo

Again we are getting the message wrong... you can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE forever IF you upgrade within one year of the release regardless if you're running Win7 or Win8 or WP 8.1. Correct me if I still got it wrong :)

Which is cool and all, get TONS of people onto Win 10, huge migration away from Win7 and Win8 and hopefully away from Win32 apps as well. So then 6 months after that one-year period (1 1/2 years after Win10 RTM), THEN they release Win11, and there are definitely no free upgrades there.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows as a Service was referenced but nothing about price, they didn't even hit there would be a price. More like Win 10 is the last release of Windows and form now/then on there are just updates... to the Windows Service. That's what I got.

leeshor

From Microsoft

Free Upgrade Offer
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about?ocid=WIN10_0_WOL_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01