What's new

Windows 10 Driver Pack is Available for Surface Pro 2 :-)

benjitek

Just happened to check the download site, the Windows 10 drivers are out for the SP2 -- released today.

I did a clean install, so they didn't show up in Windows Update, I assume if you did an in-place upgrade, they might come through Windows Update?

After extracting all the files, I don't see an installer to run -- not sure how to apply it...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Cool! Probably it is being added to Microsoft servers, so it will take a moment for it to scatter through all of them. It is like Windows 10 when it started to appear. Some got it 28th morning, other it showed up later in the day, and of course the 29th for most.

To install the drivers extracted, you need to use Device Manager or right-click and select "Install" on the inf files

OP
benjitek

benjitek

There's no instructions at the site, or in the zip-file. I just went through all the directories, right clicked the .INF files, and chose 'Install' -- some prompt for a reboot, some say successful... rebooted... everything seems fine, no idea if it all 'took'...

OP
benjitek

benjitek

Could be -- I noticed the file dates on everything are older, they're not new drivers -- they must've just modified them to be be recognizable by Windows 10.

Last edited:

GoodBytes

If you want to try them and see if its better (I am not on Win10), you need to install them via device manager.
So:
  • Extract all files
  • open Device Manager
  • and for each device hardware, right-click and select "update drivers software", then a panel will show. On it, click on Browse, and select the driver inf file for the hardware, and click Next and it should update it if it is of newer version.

OP
benjitek

benjitek

Ok, i just downloaded that one who says "surface_pro_2_win10" . But what now? theres no .exe installer.....
If you want to try them and see if its better...
I right-clicked on the INF files as he explained after a clean install, and it does work but it's not very intuitive. Some say 'process complete' others 'reboot required to complete' -- and some install without any message. The graphics driver takes longer than any of the others, seems like it isn't working -- but does display a 'process complete' message.

Not sure of the best way to implement these, would've been better if Microsoft could've automated the process. Wonder if putting those files somewhere on the bootable USB W10 install drive would help for a clean install...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder if putting those files somewhere on the bootable USB W10 install drive would help for a clean install...
That's exactly what they are for... so enterprise customers can make their custom builds... Manual installs are not really the intent but "you can do it" as Bella Karolyi said. :)

OP
benjitek

benjitek

That's exactly what they are for... so enterprise customers can make their custom builds... Manual installs are not really the intent but "you can do it" as Bella Karolyi said. :)
Right... but where on the drive, the root level? anywhere at all? Or is there a particular folder where the install process expects to see them?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should All be detailed here in the Surface Deployment and Admin Guide :)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45292

It's not as daunting as it first appears, it describes several methods but you only have to read the one for you... like if you don't have SCCM it wont help to read that part unless you like to be really through studying up on the options. :)

Last edited: