What's new

Windows 10 Home or Pro?

Exhile

Just wondering, does the Surface 3 get updated to Windows 10 Home or Professional? I know the Surface Pro 4 gets Windows 10 Professional. I'm still undecided on which Surface tablet to get.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering, does the Surface 3 get updated to Windows 10 Home or Professional? I know the Surface Pro 4 gets Windows 10 Professional. I'm still undecided on which Surface tablet to get.
It depends on the model... the 2/32 and 4/128 have Windows Core pre-installed and the 4/64 and the LTE have Pro pre-installed...

OP
Exhile

Exhile

It depends on the model... the 2/32 and 4/128 have Windows Core pre-installed and the 4/64 and the LTE have Pro pre-installed...
Thanks for the reply. Is Windows Core the same as Windows Home? I went to the Microsoft store's website and all it says is "Windows 10" for all models. There's no 2/32 or 4/64 I think???

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the most common variety Surface 3s have Home or it's equivalent Core not Pro. But if you've upgraded to Pro then any subsequent upgrades like the AU edition should maintain the same or equivalent version.

As far as the Store goes if you buy a copy they are really all the same image, the license determines what's enabled. You can certainly install a Pro on a lower version, that's an upgrade. IDK what happens if you try to install a lower version over Pro as I never did that. :)

Last edited:
OP
Exhile

Exhile

I think the most common variety Surface 3s have Home or it's equivalent Core not Pro. But if you've upgraded to Pro then any subsequent upgrades like the AU edition should maintain the same or equivalent version.

As far as the Store goes if you buy a copy they are really all the same image, the license determines what's enabled. You can certainly install a Pro on a lower version, that's an upgrade. IDK what happens if you try to install a lower version over Pro as I never did that. :)

Does AU mean Automatic Update? Sorry my technical lingo is not as advanced as you guys.

I'm using a Windows 10 Home laptop and it doesn't have all the features and tools for the (IME) Input Method Editor like my old version of Windows Vista Ultimate has. I was hoping the Professional version of Windows 10 had those features and tools.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does AU mean Automatic Update? Sorry my technical lingo is not as advanced as you guys.

I'm using a Windows 10 Home laptop and it doesn't have all the features and tools for the (IME) Input Method Editor like my old version of Windows Vista Ultimate has. I was hoping the Professional version of Windows 10 had those features and tools.
AU means Anniversary Update as in today is the day (August 2 2016) the Windows 10 AU version is released. It seems you were looking for something else.

Are you currently running Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?

I'm not the person to help you with the inking differences with Vista etc. although I recall a level of dissatisfaction about features in the older implementations and that available in 8/8.1 perhaps the new AU version would be more to your liking as there are significant enhancements however I can't speak to specifics... I'll leave that to others.

OP
Exhile

Exhile

I'm currently running Windows 10 Home and another running Windows Vista Ultimate. It's the Windows Vista Ultimate that's going to be replaced. I'm interested in the hand writing recognition to text aspect of Windows as I used to have a Tablet PC before hand.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. Is Windows Core the same as Windows Home? I went to the Microsoft store's website and all it says is "Windows 10" for all models. There's no 2/32 or 4/64 I think???
There were these models... its possible they are sold out as they are no longer being manufactured any more.

Core would be the equivalent of Home.

I'm currently running Windows 10 Home and another running Windows Vista Ultimate. It's the Windows Vista Ultimate that's going to be replaced. I'm interested in the hand writing recognition to text aspect of Windows as I used to have a Tablet PC before hand.

That is in all versions of Windows that has Pen and Touch support.

OP
Exhile

Exhile

There were these models... its possible they are sold out as they are no longer being manufactured any more.

Core would be the equivalent of Home.

That is in all versions of Windows that has Pen and Touch support.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll go with a Surface Pro 4 or 5 when it comes out.