What's new

Windows 10 Insider Preview (10074) on the Surface 3

AnthonyE1778

In short... just don't install the preview. Not yet.

I bought my Surface 3 (128gb, 4gb RAM) on release day (5/5) and was excited to start using the preview OS. Install took what was to me an incredibly short amount of time, under 1 hour. Everything went super-smooth until I actually started to use the preview OS. I had read the Neowin article about their using build 10061 on the S3 and how it ran great and everything was good. Well, if that's the case, then a GIGANTIC step back has been taken from 10061 to 10074. The new build runs absolutely horribly. Touch was rendered unresponsive at worst and slow at best. There are also reports coming in that the new OS is rendering some of the buttons unresponsive (like the volume up/down) as well as apps crashing randomly. All apps loaded very slowly, and the UI and animations were just painful to watch, very slow and choppy. Disabling the Aero effect doesn't help much at all. By this point the CPU was getting uncomfortably hot so I went into task manager and discovered that 100% (!) of the CPU was being hogged by a process called wsappx. There have been several complaints about that particular process before, but this is just mind-blowingly ridiculous. After some tinkering around, I was able to reduce the load of that particular process to 20-30%, but that didn't change the slowness, unresponsiveness, or choppiness of the UI and apps so I just decided to downgrade to Win8.1. All is fine now.

So, yes, absolutely don't install this new build on the new Surface 3.

Does anybody else have similar experiences to share? What has your experience been so far with Win10 on this tablet?

mtalinm

anyone tried build 10122 from today? it's running great on my Thinkpad x230, tempted to try it on my S3...

EmmanuelP

I tried to update from 10074 to 10122, but I am still stuck with the 18% install freeze bug.

I tried Gabriel Aul's CMD to clean the drivers, but it did not help.

As of now, my external monitor is not detected anymore.
I was beautifully detected with 8.1, but perhaps it went broken with 10074 already, I just did not try to connect it while on 10074.

Well, it looks like the 10125 is around the corner, let's hope it will solve those issues...

EmmanuelP

As an update to my former post, the Intel 5000 graphic driver showed up this mornig in the available updates.
I installed it, and 'automagically', the second monitor came to life, without restarting, while I was working on a document on my Surface's screen.
Super news.

I re-launch the 10125 build install rith now.

If it works, it would hint that the graphic driver may have been the blocker in the 10074 -> 10122 update, as 18 % is known to be the moment where the updatye deals with the drivers.

I post the result here, stay tuned ;-)

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just unboxed, installing now. After win 10 on the SP3 there is not a chance i'm sticking with 8.1 on the S3.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
10122 running beautifully...

Did you have to do anything out of the ordinary to get this working?

I have been able to get to 10074, which utterly sucked, but was unable to update beyond that despite update finding 10130 etc. Have tried using ISO's of 10125 as well as 10130 but following the restart it jut sits on the surface logo doing nothing despite the same usb stick installing the OS just fine onto the SP3

Edit: so the system just hung and hung and hung so I forced a reset, and yet again upon booting i get the SAFE_OS phase error.

Last edited:

macster

Did you have to do anything out of the ordinary to get this working?

I have been able to get to 10074, which utterly sucked, but was unable to update beyond that despite update finding 10130 etc. Have tried using ISO's of 10125 as well as 10130 but following the restart it jut sits on the surface logo doing nothing despite the same usb stick installing the OS just fine onto the SP3

Edit: so the system just hung and hung and hung so I forced a reset, and yet again upon booting i get the SAFE_OS phase error.

Same here. Hopefully someone here came come up with a solution.

M~