What's new

Windows 10 Insider Preview (10074) on the Surface 3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spent the best part of 2 days trying to find a workaround. absolutely nothing worked. Can get to 10074 without an issue, cannot upgrade beyond that. I tried clean installs of 10 and upgrade, I tried an iso of 10030 on a blank system, I tried going via windows update. Every time it would just hang on Surface until I reset it.

So back on win 8.1 and very much not enjoying the experience. Fingers crossed MS sort it out pronto.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are going to stick with it for awhile. So far, it's working fine for our needs.

M~

It works for my needs, but alas I've spent the past 6 months on 10 with the SP3 and I just find 8.1 to be a massive step back for me. Ah well. something will get sorted before too long.

macster

I might have take back what I said. The "boss" is not happy with it. She misses the split screen, which she had gotten quite use to. So, I might have to do a restore if I can't get it fixed.

M~

macster

Well, I just finished going back to 8.1. That was an experience. I would highly recommend having a USB SSD with the system image and associated files on it standing by before you attempt the upgrade. In addition you should read the recovery instructions about 3 times if you are a "know it all" like me, there are a couple of steps that you will gloss right over if you don't.

M~

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I just finished going back to 8.1. That was an experience. I would highly recommend having a USB SSD with the system image and associated files on it standing by before you attempt the upgrade. In addition you should read the recovery instructions about 3 times if you are a "know it all" like me, there are a couple of steps that you will gloss right over if you don't.

M~

I found it interesting that as a result of the win 10 update, windows told me that no recovery partition existed or whatever, so I could not revert to any previous operating system. Stuck on 10 right unless I download a recovery image? Nope, I just performed a reset (I did the wipe, and the deep wipe) and while it took an hour, both times I ended up on a fresh copy of 8.1. Seems rather odd that windows cannot revert to 8.1, but it can reset itself to 8.1

macster

I found it interesting that as a result of the win 10 update, windows told me that no recovery partition existed or whatever, so I could not revert to any previous operating system. Stuck on 10 right unless I download a recovery image? Nope, I just performed a reset (I did the wipe, and the deep wipe) and while it took an hour, both times I ended up on a fresh copy of 8.1. Seems rather odd that windows cannot revert to 8.1, but it can reset itself to 8.1

Same experiences here. That is that when we upgraded to Windows 10 it installed or created a new recovery image, which was Windows 10. So it makes sense that you can only go back to Windows 10. I believe and "assume" that the downloaded recovery image is Windows 8.1, which makes sense and saves time as far as updating goes. When 10 comes out in July 29, I will make sure that "her" Windows 8.1 has been imaged and all of her files backed up the USB that I have designated for that purpose. I'm not going through this again.

M~

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same experiences here. The is that when we upgraded to Windows 10 it installed or created a new recovery image, which was Windows 10. So it makes sense that you can only go back to Windows 10. I believe and "assume" that the downloaded recovery image is Windows 8.1, which makes sense and saves time as far as updating goes. When 10 comes out in July 29, I will make sure that "her" Windows 8.1 has been imaged and all of her files backed up the USB that I have designated for that purpose. I'm not going through this again.

M~

That's what I mean. There was apparently no recovery image at all, be it 8.1 or 10, I could not revert to a previous version of windows. Wouldn't give me a choice. However clearly there was an image of 8.1 hidden somewhere on the system. I didn't have to download anything at all.

macster

That's what I mean. There was apparently no recovery image at all, be it 8.1 or 10, I could not revert to a previous version of windows. Wouldn't give me a choice. However clearly there was an image of 8.1 hidden somewhere on the system. I didn't have to download anything at all.

I thought that you meant that, well that's a good thing and good to know. One other thing, I "thought" that I had backed up some critical files to the cloud but amazingly some of them were not there including someone's client list :(. Ahhh, life goes on around here.

M~

mtalinm

I just reverted tonight. yuck, win10 was terrible. couldn't even sign in half the time, let alone the wreck they have made of OneDrive

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Installed 10147 last night. Installation was slow but succeeded. everything seemed good, except for one glaring issue. Power button and volume buttons did nothing. But clearly the intel issue is near fixed, and the next official build will hopefully be compatible with the S3 :)

LsRamAir

Installed 10147 last night. Installation was slow but succeeded. everything seemed good, except for one glaring issue. Power button and volume buttons did nothing. But clearly the intel issue is near fixed, and the next official build will hopefully be compatible with the S3 :)

10147 working solid here too. After a couple windows updates and reboots and changing settings to my liking, we are fully functional.

Cant wait for RC or RTM version so i can fresh install all my machines and call it a day!