What's new

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332 on Surface 3

cmergel

This new build was just released Tuesday, 4/26.

Let me know if any other Surface 3 owners are able to get this to install.

I received a BSOD "Event_Tracing_Fatal_Error" during the upgrade (at the point of finishing Part 2 and going to Part 3) and reverted back to previous 14328 Build. Now I get 0x800703e4 error in the Windows Update.

I have logged a Insider Feedback if you search for either of those errors. Looks like there are a handful of other Surface 3 owners that are having this issue as well.

Looks like I may have to skip this build.

*Yes, I am aware that this is a beta build and there will be issues.

OP
cmergel

cmergel

I read a post that looked to be similar that running the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab to automatically scan and fix issues with Windows Update resolved their issue.

I can confirm that this temporarily resolved the 0x800703e4, but the BSOD during the upgrade occurred and reverted me back to previous build.

kekinash

I have the same problem with my Surface 3, no matter what I did it always fails to install and goes back to previous installation...

Ocelot

Same issue here. I tried uninstalling antivirus, disk check, etc. This is actually the first time I've had issues like this with a preview upgrade install and I've been running insider previews on three machines since way back in Dec 2014

derekcranson

I had the same issue and as the previous build was giving me multiple blue screens especially at boot I needed it. I was getting the same blue screen and then return to previous build. I tried all sorts and then remembered a few builds ago the sd card was interfering with loading and so I took the card out and reinstalled the build. It went all the way through and booted correctly so I reinserted the sd card again and it all seems O.K . I've been at work all day but now back at home it seems to be all working correctly and has also cured the blue screens from the previous build.

crp852

I had the same issue and as the previous build was giving me multiple blue screens especially at boot I needed it. I was getting the same blue screen and then return to previous build. I tried all sorts and then remembered a few builds ago the sd card was interfering with loading and so I took the card out and reinstalled the build. It went all the way through and booted correctly so I reinserted the sd card again and it all seems O.K . I've been at work all day but now back at home it seems to be all working correctly and has also cured the blue screens from the previous build.

Just tried this: removing the SD card from my S3 & it worked! No BSODs and running 14332.

OP
cmergel

cmergel

Seriously, SD Card? :) How silly...

I too removed the SD Card and it upgraded to 14332, however, upon reboot it BSOD with my initial upgrade error above "Event_Tracing_Fatal_Error". and from there continuously BSOD on reboot. I reverted back to 14328. I'll stay here until the next build. It doesn't like me....

Compusmurf

Make sure no 3rd party Antivirus pkg is installed. Last 2 builds have been very picky. Guess they are tweaking underlying drivers still.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I finally update 14332 on my S3 and Kangaroo (ATOM X5) this weekend...both installed without issue and no BSODs.

kekinash

For the event tracing fatal error after successfully updated to Build 14332 that happens during the restart, select F8 during boot and after that disable the Driver Signature using F7. That's the problem with the surface 3 BSOD's.

OP
cmergel

cmergel

For the event tracing fatal error after successfully updated to Build 14332 that happens during the restart, select F8 during boot and after that disable the Driver Signature using F7. That's the problem with the surface 3 BSOD's.
Is this new? I have not had to do this with any other W10 build.

kekinash

Seems Microsoft did something wrong with this build, I hope gets fixed next build. By the way after successfully booting to windows force run an Automatic Maintenance and wait for it to finish before reboot again. If goes again BSOD use F7 to disable the drivers signature again to be able to boot.

Sketch.png

Ok, found the temp solution for the BSOD. First reboot into UEFI settings (BIOS) and disable secure boot, then open and elevated (admin) cmd and type:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on (for enabling Driver signature use: bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off )

This will disable permanently the Driver Signature on your tablet, so no need to put F7 at booting. When the new build appears, just put everything back . When rebooting you "Surface" will be on a red background indicating that your tablet is no using the security boot, but it doesn't affect to Bitlocker encryption ( My tablet is encrypted and is a pain in the **s to insert the secure key each time rebooting for just use the F7 trick)

Last edited: