What's new

Windows 10. Love it or hate it?

Kris

Regular Apps??? Phones are all ARM based (think Win RT lite), there's not a single Windows Phone that runs X86/X64.

Not yet...

and if there was, ... Rumor had it that Windows Phone/mobile has no "Desktop" therefore it still cant load or run a W32 x86 program. Metro/Windows Store only AFAIK. OR Some Store??? Wherever phones get their apps.
I can always hope and dream. Would be a smart move by MS to do it. I've heard talk about Xbox One getting full Windows 10, might be rumors but still hoping and dreaming.

knightron

I'm liking it, I mainly use it in tablet mode. I like how when desktop apps are opened they are automatically opened full screen, and rarely as a window. It just makes the whole tablet mode seem more seamless. I'm enjoying Edge. Only having two metro options for web browsers previously was annoying, and since Internet Explorer did not display it's tabs at all times i opted to use the ghastly Chrome. Edge offers visual tabs which makes it an easy choice for me. It's not perfect, but it's better than Chrome.

I have seen some bugs. For example input areas in desktop apps do not bring up the virtual keyboard when tapped.
In many other apps, the virtual keyboard comes up as usual, but tapping off the keyboard does not make it withdraw, and i have to fling it down manually. That may be intentional but my habits make me not like it.
Another one that's very annoying is when i go to take a note in OneNote or draw in Fresh Paint, i rest my hand on the device and the god damn calender is triggered.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like that we are finally out of the TP :)

I dislike that somehow the TP had less bugs and issues than the retail copy. I'm very tempted just to revert to 10162 for the moment, or whatever the pre-RTM build was. This launch has been about as embarrassing as a ,launch could be. Installed 10 on my mums laptop a night ago as her laptop was bricked and it made sense, she immediately asked me to put 8.1 on it because the majority of the parishioners she had talked to said that they had upgraded to 10 and it was a nightmare.

Its those kind of social groups that actually matter for MS. 2 bad words from average Joe and 10 is already black listed. I am actively dissuading her and her friends from upgrading. Sony are onto something, but it has nothing to do with drivers. Microsoft completely Fudged up this release.

kundas1

^^^ hahaha I heard all these stories about win 8 blah blah "nightmare" blah blah blah "to confusing" blah blah blah going back to win 7 blah blah blah lol

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was liking win 10 on my surface until I started realising it had insomnia and also now I'm getting the problem greyfox had with the touch keypad not appearing on the lock screen which is new as it was originally working. These are frustrating and I'm starting ri think about either a refresh (which I never had to so on win 8) or a roll back....

So far I'm happy with it on my former win 7 desktop where sleep is not a problem as obviously its not a battery device.

CrippsCorner

Disregarding bugs etc. I like it on the desktop, it's a stunning looking OS and I'm proud to show it off. However in tablet form, it kind of lacks some stuff compared to Windows 8.1 which is a shame. Hopefully Microsoft will get their act together on this, especially as I don't think Surface Pro 4 is going to be any different in form.

strollin

I neither love it or hate it. I only upgraded one of my machines (an old netbook I had laying around) the upgrade went fine and is running fine. I have no intention of upgrading my SP3 or my other Win 7 and Win 8.1 machines since there's nothing compelling in Win 10 to make me want to upgrade over a currently working OS.

compnovo

I've upgraded all the computers in our house and the only one that has given me heartburn in the wife's (NATURALLY). Hers was the only Win7 PC I upgraded, all the others were running some version of Win8.1, and for some reasons the security settings were set too high during the upgrade. Simple things like opening attachments or autocomplete weren't working as before, and it took a while to troubleshoot the source of the problem.
In general I'm fine with the upgrade but I miss little things like the aforementioned issue with the keyboard not auto-launching with the Start screen. One other thing I'd change if they made me king of Microsoft for a day:
I don't like seeing the taskbar when watching Netflix in tablet mode, it's distracting.

CrippsCorner

I must admit I don't use it a lot in tablet mode compared to the desktop but there are little things that annoy which I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum...
  • Edge is frustrating to use due to no swiping to go forwards/backwards and the address bar being active
  • I haven't found a quick way to get rid of the Taskbar? Again, you're losing real estate of the screen
  • I used to love leaving the Tiles on the Start Screen to auto-update. This isn't possible any more
  • When docked, swiping in from the edge now opens options on the main monitor, not the tablet one
  • Intermittently flicks between desktop mode and tablet mode, obviously a bug but was fine on Windows 8
Had to edit to add one more which is driving me crazy. The fan runs almost all the time in Windows 10, making the Surface very hot to hold (not to mention noisy when laying in bed) within Windows 8 I hardly ever heard it... really just when running HD videos or converting media. This is the biggest disappointment out of everything for me :(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must admit I don't use it a lot in tablet mode compared to the desktop but there are little things that annoy which I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum...
  • Edge is frustrating to use due to no swiping to go forwards/backwards and the address bar being active
  • I haven't found a quick way to get rid of the Taskbar? Again, you're losing real estate of the screen
  • I used to love leaving the Tiles on the Start Screen to auto-update. This isn't possible any more
  • When docked, swiping in from the edge now opens options on the main monitor, not the tablet one
  • Intermittently flicks between desktop mode and tablet mode, obviously a bug but was fine on Windows 8
Had to edit to add one more which is driving me crazy. The fan runs almost all the time in Windows 10, making the Surface very hot to hold (not to mention noisy when laying in bed) within Windows 8 I hardly ever heard it... really just when running HD videos or converting media. This is the biggest disappointment out of everything for me :(
id add to that in Tablet Mode Edge is a non touch optimized desktop browser in full screen... really no easier than using IE on the Desktop.