What's new

Windows 10 Mail App behaviour with Gmail

convergent

I am coming from Mac to SP4. I've used Mac Mail for many years with many POP/IMAP mail accounts and more recently with Gmail aggregating the other accounts. In Mac Mail, when I file or delete a mail item to a Mac Mail folder, it doesn't show up in Gmail when I sync from other devices. If I do that with Mac Mail, it removes it from the inbox in Windows 10 Mail app also.

Now when I try to do the same in W10 Mail App, it does not remove it from Mac Mail the other way. What I've discovered is that when I delete something in W10 Mail App, it goes to the trash can and I have to then delete it from the trash can to have it disappear on the Mac Mail side. It will be a pain to empty the trash can to have mail not show on other devices. Is there any way to get W10 Mail App to tell Gmail the mail is no longer in the Inbox?

Not sure if I'm describing this effectively, but I want to be able to transition to SP4 as my main machine and be the one I delete mail or file on, but it isn't going to work if everything continues to show up in the Gmail inbox on other devices like my phone.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you are indeed describing the problem properly, @convergent . Only in the latest test version of Windows 10 (Build 16184) is Gmail specifically addressed. (See here).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm unsure what version of mail I have, but anything I delete from win10 mail is deleted from my gmail account, and has been doing this for as long as I remember (had to get used to swiping mail notifications away and not hitting the X accidentally)

OP
convergent

convergent

I'm unsure what version of mail I have, but anything I delete from win10 mail is deleted from my gmail account, and has been doing this for as long as I remember (had to get used to swiping mail notifications away and not hitting the X accidentally)

I've always know that Gmail behavior was strange, and I think Mac and Windows just handle it differently. Thanks to your reply I looked at using archive vs. delete. That seems to give the behavior I want, albeit not actually deleting the mail. If I swipe them to the left in W10 Mail then they immediately disappear (actually after syncing) from the Mac. They end up in the All Mail folder, but that then becomes effectively a giant trash can that I'll probably never fill up. If I delete, then I have to empty my trash in W10 Mail before they are deleted. So I guess I'll be doing the archive if I move to Mail as my daily driver.

OP
convergent

convergent

I think I have it set up correctly now... thanks for the help. I swipe left to delete and right to file. The result is correctly placed mail on Gmail when I go to it in the browser. i also really like the Mail app.