What's new

Windows 10...not impressed.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK...got you! Thanks. But I wanted to also ask: Does this mean that the tracking lists that we apply as add-ons in IE11 (as in 8.1) will not work with Edge at the moment?

Cannot say. Honestly don't have a clue what a tracking list even is. Haven't used IE in many a month now. Edge or chrome for me depending on what I need to do.

kristalsoldier

Cannot say. Honestly don't have a clue what a tracking list even is. Haven't used IE in many a month now. Edge or chrome for me depending on what I need to do.

OK...thanks. I have been using Edge since last evening when I upgraded to W10. Nice...very nice...but I wish it had ad-blockers (soon to come, I believe) and some add-on capability!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK...thanks. I have been using Edge since last evening when I upgraded to W10. Nice...very nice...but I wish it had ad-blockers (soon to come, I believe) and some add-on capability!

Supposedly October. Not soon enough! edge will never get taken seriously until it gets things like comprehensive native ad/pop up blocking. Doesn't matter how many magic inking and Cortana features they add on, those are gimmicks to the masses, who are far more concerned about the availability of flash downloaders and add blocking etc.

dajogejr

This is the thread I was looking for to discuss issues I've had.
One note Metro to One Note 2013 issues and the Surface Pen, noted elsewhere.
None of my RSAT utilities work for W10. I downloaded the pack that was for W10 Preview, still didn't work.
Biggest Issue I had is I move from my dock to WiFi and back to Dock several times a day. This works very well in 8.1
In W10, often I had to tell it to connect manually to WiFi I've used for years.
WiFi is a big issue for me at work and home.
Which, is odd because the HP Stream7 I have as my backup/pocket device does WiFi flawlessly.
Now I see there is a driver update pack available yesterday.
Symantec Endpoint Protection does not work (Our Corporate AV Server/Client system)

To be fair, I did see a few promising things. What I didn't realize is that W10 allows multiple DPI settings, or so I've read. I didn't not give that a look and it'll be one of the first things I look at once I go back to W10 on my SP3.

Can anyone using a dock/screen and using multiple DPI settings comment on if it works...and how well?

Start menu is better...very customizable...
I'd like the ability to remove apps MS thinks I should keep (Like their Metro One Note, etc.)
Promising, not quite there yet.

I like it all except that it keeps asking for my password when I turn it on even though I set it in 2 spots in settings not to.

google AutoLogon ... it is something microsoft bought and is free. we use it at work to autologon our computers... it encrypts user name and logon and enables auto logon. I have this working great on Win10...

didnt want to post link as I am not sure if it is against forum rules... let me know if you need any info on it...

Chuck_IV

While I am a fan of Windows 10 on the desktop, I am NOT a fan of the what I consider to be inferior tablet mode in Windows 10.

The few things that frustrate me right off the bat (maybe I am missing some additional settings) are...

1 The vertical vs the old horizontal scrolling. The horizontal s rolling worked great, why change it?

2. The completely inefficient use of space when displaying tiles on the touch screen in tablet mode, ESPECIALLY when in portrait mode. I can only put 3 medium tiles across in portrait mode when there is PLENTY of room for a minimum of 5. Plus the gap between 2 groups in landscape is way too big, much bigger than 8.1

3. No desktop "app" to quickly get to the desktop. I know you can swipe from the right and turn tablet mode off but that is more touches needed and when in portrait mode, it is hard to get the sidebar to show when you have the keyboard attached.

4. I haven't found a way to hide the taskbar in tablet mode. There is no need for it in tablet mode, why is it there?

Even the new button to bring up the list of apps (bottom left), while nice, makes it SLOWER(compared to 8.1) in getting to the apps at the bottom of the list when you have many apps.

I'm with you MilesTeg, I hate the tablet mode so much, I am thinking of downgrading back to 8.1

Last edited:

zhenya

Can anyone using a dock/screen and using multiple DPI settings comment on if it works...and how well?

This is one of my favorite things about Win 10 so far. I dock to a 4k monitor - bought because of the state of scaling on 8.1 - and with independent scaling, I've gained a bunch of real estate on that monitor because I can now run 125% on the big monitor, while keeping 150% on the Surface. It's not perfect - there is still some fuzziness from windows that were scaled based on what you had connected for displays when you logged in, but it's much, much better than in Win 8.1. And it even lets you (mostly) change scaling without logging off - it warns you that not everything might work - but it works a lot better than just doing nothing!

OP
R

rjwerth

Here's another fun thing (yes, I'm using MS feedback to gripe as well). Mail automatically setup an account called AOL. Unfortunately, it isn't my AOL account. It is an Outlook account that doesn't exist and can't be deleted from the mail accounts. Awesome.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far... using W10 on a laptop... I no likey ... maybe it will grow on me like a fungus or maybe not. I don't think so.

This is the first mail app I have encountered that I might actually refuse to use.

Not liking the New Windows Update so far... maybe if I can find some tweaks... I finally found where to check for updates... it just installed them no questions asked or indicate what was available.

There's nothing about the design I like, I think it was made for Phones... I guess they are telling us computers ARE dead.

28 days to decide if I'll keep it. it was worth every penny.

malberttoo

Adding the EZ tracking protection list to IE serves the same function as installing the awesome AdBlock Plus extension. But @ctitanic discovered that if you did in desktop IE, then it also somehow on the backside did the same thing to Metro IE. So even though you couldn't install AdBlock in Metro IE, you could still get the same benefit by doing tracking protection in desktop IE.

Once you go ad-free, you will be supremely annoyed without it....

nnthemperor

I love it. control panel is for power users (remember) the rest get to use the simpler settings menu. That is why the control panel is kinda hidden.

kontrol1

Windows 10 is great in Tablet mode except for the following highly noticeable features that are missing.
  • Full screen All APPS versus narrow single column All Apps in 10
  • Swipe up anywhere in Start Menu for All Apps and swipe down back for Start Menu
  • Horizontal scrolling in start menu
  • Ability to hide Taskbar in Tablet mode without also hiding in Desktop mode
  • Just type to search on start screen
  • Ability to snap more than 2 apps
  • Search box/icon on the top right of the screen(easier to access compared to bottom left corner)
  • Power button on top right of the screen(easier to access compared to bottom left corner)
  • Quick access to desktop with the desktop app,
  • Metro IE
  • Camera on lock screen
  • Charms bar with big search box and 8.1 style task switching with gesture to an extent.
Things I like; Action center,recent apps button.

Think I'll keep SP3 in the dual boot mode for the foreseeable future. Win 10 for insider builds. 8.1 for actual use. I wonder why MSFT degraded Tablet mode.

Last edited: