What's new

Windows 10 on Surface Pro 2

TPadden

Last build, 9879 broke everything for me. Random restarts, sometimes won't boot, won't wake up. Went back to 8.1 and will wait for the ready for prime time edition. :)

so im up here searching to figure out how to back up my sp2... I dont use it that much but love 8.1 on it. I have b been running w10 on my old core 2 duo laptop and it runs superb. 0 issues. Love it... everything about it so was thinking to do it here but dont want to loose my partition to get back 8.1 if it doesnt work.
I see acronis brought up here..,. so im out searching more.,..

mcsenerd

I've been running W10 since it was released for download on my SP2 and I concur with TPadden. Something got borked in the last update and it's been super flaky since then. I've sent some feedback through the tool...but you never really know what gets read and actually looked at.

so question for you guys.. i am backing up my pics (use my sp2 for photoshop and lightroom)
out side of this... if I get my personal files off and do a restore back to OEM like it came out of the box. Can you upgrade to Win10 preview? then if it doesnt work great just restore back to win8?

i installed Win10 overtop.. and it did nothing... hah im still on 8.1. it did all that, answered questions and thought it was going to go but it didnt.. weird...

ok so I said screw it... I simply booted on a thumb drive to install W10. I deleted the 112gb partition and went. All went fine and Win10 is up and running. loving it since Jan 5.

well im running build 9841 but this weekend I went to the latest build.. 99xx forget numbers.. wow total redo and didnt like it much. Then it started tanking my SP2.. so I went back to 9841 and all is well...

I am also running HandyAndy Android emulator (.41 as .42 isnt playing nice with the touchscreen) and that too is running fabulous

Zkyevolved

It's good to hear that Windows 10 is running well (generally speaking) on our SP2s! I can't wait. If I didn't need my SP2 to be reliable and solid on a daily basis... I'd totally take the plunge! :)

mcsenerd

I haven't had a great number of issues out of the latest preview build, but I'm still not diggin Win10 from a tablet perspective. Every time I have to do something that is truly "tablet"-like on the SP2 under Windows 10 it feels like a "step backward" to me. I'm holding onto hope that they bring the non-desktop behavior more in-line with their original tablet vision, but I don't know if there will be any great changes before shipping...

Zkyevolved

I haven't had a great number of issues out of the latest preview build, but I'm still not diggin Win10 from a tablet perspective. Every time I have to do something that is truly "tablet"-like on the SP2 under Windows 10 it feels like a "step backward" to me. I'm holding onto hope that they bring the non-desktop behavior more in-line with their original tablet vision, but I don't know if there will be any great changes before shipping...
There is still a while before shipping, and from what I hear, MS is taking feedback seriously. I'd comment it and leave feedback, ask others to do the same, and they might change it!

mcsenerd

There is still a while before shipping, and from what I hear, MS is taking feedback seriously. I'd comment it and leave feedback, ask others to do the same, and they might change it!

Oh, believe me...I've left a ton of feedback through the tool. I've seen a few odd behaviors like Cortana getting kinda stuck, dialog boxes not clearing, etc. Like I said...I'm still holding out some hope that they make continuum what I thought it was going to be... More Win8/8.1ish for tablet mode...More Win7ish for desktop mode.

B

B'midbar

Oh, believe me...I've left a ton of feedback through the tool. I've seen a few odd behaviors like Cortana getting kinda stuck, dialog boxes not clearing, etc. Like I said...I'm still holding out some hope that they make continuum what I thought it was going to be... More Win8/8.1ish for tablet mode...More Win7ish for desktop mode.

Corporate world will be sitting on Windows 7 every bit as long as they sat on XP.