What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyS

My Surface now shows the boot menu, so I wonder if one of the recent updates fixed it.
If I get that blank screen again I'll try the keyboard keys, but sometimes it takes a minute for my USB wireless keyboard and mouse to be recognized and work.

erandhawa

I've been trying out Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 i7. I did notice I was getting excessive fan noise like the CPU was running non stop as others have stated. After a recent update that stopped but I did notice that Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) was using a rather large amount of bandwidth (18 Mbps). This not only used bandwidth but made my fan kick in while I wasn't doing anything on the Surface. I switched the service to manual and haven't had any issues since.
Just wanted to let people know incase they experience something similar. I do know it is used for windows updates and other background transfers but it hasn't affected my ability to receive updates since I just updated my defender database with no issues.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well despite this machine being absolutely key to university, i took the plunge and installed it, not even dual boot.

Despite no touch friendly internet explorer (or at least, ive het to find it), i love it. Start menu is indeed great, and it beats the crap out of start8 which to be honest, was a clumsy pain on 8.1. and despite my initial reaction to the tiles in start menu, in this form, it is actually a great feature compared to the joke that was the start screen.

Cheers for filling me with the confidence to install this :)

ScottyS

My Surface now shows the boot menu, so I wonder if one of the recent updates fixed it.
If I get that blank screen again I'll try the keyboard keys, but sometimes it takes a minute for my USB wireless keyboard and mouse to be recognized and work.
I spoke too soon. I nearly had a disaster. I started not getting the boot menu reliably and some times it just hung on a black screen (backlight on and keyboard lit). And unlike razy60 the Up/Down arrow and Enter didn't do anything for me.

The disaster? I used msconfig to boot to Win10 by setting it as the default OS, and it wouldn't boot. Not to Win10 and I had not boot menu to choose Win8.1. I forced power off and tried again several times but it just kept hanging at a black screen. I tried booting from my recovery USB drive, but it wouldn't. So I entered UEFI settings and diasabled Trusted Platform Module. It then asked if I wanted to boot to a different OS and I clicked Yes and it then showed me the boot menu. Back in Win8.1 a quickly changed msconfig to have Win8.1 as the default OS, so if I can't boot Win10, at least it should time out and boot to Win8.1. I'm still afraid to re-boot it because for about a half an hour I thought I had a bricked SP3.

razy60

hope you get it sorted ScottyS. up/down arrow is all about timing can take a few attempts. You can do a restart by going to update and recovery choosing advanced then choose an OS to start.

ScottyS

@ScottyS, hope you are back to running. Scary story. Waiting for you to check in, in good condition...
I'm still up and running because I haven't rebooted since.
razy60, you said "You can do a restart by going to update and recovery choosing advanced then choose an OS to start." How do I get to update and recovery if I can only get that black screen (with backlight on) after the Surface logo and spinning dotted circle? When I went into UEFI and disabled Trusted Platform Module and hit Exit the screen asked if I wanted to choose and OS and when I clicked that the blue boot menu came on screen.

So, I went to MS website support and went to Online Chat. When I typed I get error code 80070002 repeatedly when trying to install update KB3000850 she typed for me to do a forced power off by holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then restart. When I typed I had already tried several re-boots and this was my only computer so I couldn't continue the chat if I did that, she asked for my email address and phone number and she called me.
I mentioned I also have the WiFi and Bluetooth issue and had exchanged it once at the MS store for a new one she immediately said they would send me a new SP3.
She offered to have me return this one and they'd then send a new one (turn-around time 6 days) or I can give them my credit card number and they'd send a new one and then I would mail back this one. I have no problem with that but I asked if I could just exchange it at the MS store. She said she's call the MS near me to see if they had a SP3 i7 8GB 256GB in stock and call me back and I never heard from her again. No call, no email.

I suppose I will try re-booting tomorrow AM and if it wont start just go to the MS with this on a blank screen. But if they don't have this one in stock, I don't know what I'll do.

I really don't want to exchange it for a new one. I think the WiFi issues I have will be the same (some people on this forum have said they've returned theirs 4 or 5 times), plus I'd have a ton of programs and shortcuts and fonts and Remote Desktop connection to work to set up, and my iPhone and online banking and a few other things will complain it's a new computer and have to text me a code... not to mention HD re-partitioning and Win10 dual boot setup.

Sorry for the long story, hope it's not TLTR.:(

razy60

ScottyS if your running win 8: charms bar- settings-change pc settings - update and recovery- recovery- advanced start up- you then get the choices that you get doing the 2 finger start up but I have found that doing it this way is actually better for all the options that are available, That is not to say however that if your surface is having issues it will work, so you may have to back up and get a new one.

ScottyS

ScottyS if your running win 8: charms bar- settings-change pc settings - update and recovery- recovery- advanced start up- you then get the choices that you get doing the 2 finger start up but I have found that doing it this way is actually better for all the options that are available, That is not to say however that if your surface is having issues it will work, so you may have to back up and get a new one.
This only works if you're rebooting from Windows.
It the device wont even load an OS, I'd have to boot from a recovery disc (USB drive). To do that (when I installed Win10) I had to disenable Secure Boot in the UEFI, and then hold the volume down button while pressing the power button.

I haven't yet tried to boot to Win10. I think that is where the problem lies. Pre-UEFI after the BIOS POST it would run boot manager and give a text menu to pick an OS or it's boot the default OS after a set time. Now with UEFI it actually boots to the default OS and then shows you a boot menu. If you pick the default OS it goes right to the logon screen. If you pick the other OS it re-boots into that OS. So when I had Win10 set to be default (was using msconfig to change default OS so I could just re-start because after the last Win10 update restart would restart me to whichever OS was running and only power off and press the power button would give me a boot menu).

I still never heard back from the MS rep who was going to call my nearest MS store to see if they have this SP3 in stock. I guess if I wanted to replace it I'd have to start all over again with customer support.

Status
Not open for further replies.