What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

I've found it easy enough to use the factory recovery USB to go back to Win8.1, and the Win10 ISO to clean install, that I've been going that route. The new settings backup model makes it easy enough to recover, and I do prefer to run things on the bare metal as much as possible. Not only is performance better that way but I get the best sense of how things are running.

Different strokes for different folks, of course.

RémiM

Thanks for the update on the KB3036140 @tarrant64

I had none of the issues that this patch is supposed to fix, but glad they improved again the battery life -- even if it was already much better since KB3035129.

@mitchellvii agree with the fact that @sharpcolorado has the best wallpapers ;)

GTiceman

Just a thought, but you guys that are bouncing between 8.1 and 10 may want to consider a dual-boot scenario. I have 10 installed to a VHD. It works well...and if I don't want it any more, I just have to delete the VHD and boot record from "msconfig".

No fussing with shrinking and formatting partitions with a true dual boot...similar, although probably not quite as good performance...and 8.1 stays intact fully with no risk for me. I still spend 90% of my time in 8.1, because I greatly prefer it over Win 10 in it's current state, but I can pop into 10 from time to time to play around and submit feedback.

Is your main drive BitLocker protected? I thought there was some issue with this.

I've found it easy enough to use the factory recovery USB to go back to Win8.1, and the Win10 ISO to clean install, that I've been going that route. The new settings backup model makes it easy enough to recover, and I do prefer to run things on the bare metal as much as possible. Not only is performance better that way but I get the best sense of how things are running.

Different strokes for different folks, of course.

I agree it is simple and I like clean slates as well.

Hey everyone - if it hasn't been posted already appears a new patch is available for Windows 10 with a lot of updates. KB3036140. Going to try and get it loaded on my VM now.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-updated-18-improvements-included-in-the-latest-patch

Thanks for the heads up ... just installed. Let's see if it fixes the crashes I have been having

wynand32

I installed today's update, and unfortunately I'm still stuck with the "System Hardware Update 1/27/2015" unable to install. Really wish I knew what that was and why it won't install on my machine...

GTiceman

I installed today's update, and unfortunately I'm still stuck with the "System Hardware Update 1/27/2015" unable to install. Really wish I knew what that was and why it won't install on my machine...

Well mine always wants to re-install that

Also, my system crashed already after the update. Solid color screen then bluescreened.

wynand32

Well mine always wants to re-install that

Also, my system crashed already after the update. Solid color screen then bluescreened.

I'd be okay with _reinstalling_ the update, if it would just install once. This failure to install thing is bothering me.

Bummer about the crash, my update went fine otherwise.

wynand32

So, right now, the only thing that's causing my system to run hot and loud is "Host Process for Setting Synchronization." Pegs at around 25% CPU use, and if I kill it the SP3 cools down and the fan quits running.

Anyone else seeing this?

GTiceman

I'd be okay with _reinstalling_ the update, if it would just install once. This failure to install thing is bothering me.

Bummer about the crash, my update went fine otherwise.

My install went fine, it just is that solid color screen issue that I know some people had and not sure why almost nobody else on here is having beside me.

So, right now, the only thing that's causing my system to run hot and loud is "Host Process for Setting Synchronization." Pegs at around 25% CPU use, and if I kill it the SP3 cools down and the fan quits running.

Anyone else seeing this?

My system is dead quiet and that task is using 0% on mine.

Another item of interest is Cortana doesn't pop up when I speak to her, but she does reply. It pops up when I click on her.

mitchellvii

Just a thought, but you guys that are bouncing between 8.1 and 10 may want to consider a dual-boot scenario. I have 10 installed to a VHD. It works well...and if I don't want it any more, I just have to delete the VHD and boot record from "msconfig".

No fussing with shrinking and formatting partitions with a true dual boot...similar, although probably not quite as good performance...and 8.1 stays intact fully with no risk for me. I still spend 90% of my time in 8.1, because I greatly prefer it over Win 10 in it's current state, but I can pop into 10 from time to time to play around and submit feedback.

My SSD is too full sadly.

mitchellvii

I'm going to stay on the sidelines until they release some major UI updates like customization of the Start Menu, etc.

erandhawa

Anyone else seeing this?

I actually had this issue with both windows 8.1 and windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 i7. I just do the same thing you did, when I would hear the fan for no apparent reason I'd check and force close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.