What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it also gives you that option when you boot, "Windows 10" or "Prior Installation". This assumes you did not delete your "windows.old" folder, in which case you are SOL.

This is why i asked for your method. This is what i tried, and after a lengthy reboot, it just took me straight back to the "continue to tech preview" blue screen. I installed over 8.1, not a clean install, windows.old still there taking up a big huge massive chunk of storage.

RémiM

So, right now, the only thing that's causing my system to run hot and loud is "Host Process for Setting Synchronization." Pegs at around 25% CPU use, and if I kill it the SP3 cools down and the fan quits running.

Anyone else seeing this?

Experiencing it right now. Will wait a bit to see it it stops by itself.

EDIT: as expected, it stopped after 5 minutes. Back to silence. I LOVE my Win10. So far, I am enjoying it way more than I enjoyed 8.1.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

This is why i asked for your method. This is what i tried, and after a lengthy reboot, it just took me straight back to the "continue to tech preview" blue screen. I installed over 8.1, not a clean install, windows.old still there taking up a big huge massive chunk of storage.

Did you attempt in the Recovery menu? Just sounds like something is screwed up.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently MS released a new version of Office, available in the Beta Store: http://blogs.office.com/2015/02/04/next-chapter-office-windows/

The problem is: I don't see anything related to a new office in the Beta Store.

http://www.neowin.net/news/download-word-excel-and-powerpoint-office-touch-apps-for-windows-10

Links at the bottom. I also couldn't find it by simply searching store. I also can't install it. I click install and the button greys out but nothing actually happens.

RémiM

Thank you @hughlle .

Here the installation went very well. It was basically a "click-and-play" installation.

EDIT: well, I have the new Office thing, but in French (Québec city) and I can't find how to change the language.

EDIT 2: and my Beta Store is in French too. Is there a way to change the language of the Store ?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you @hughlle .

Here the installation went very well. It was basically a "click-and-play" installation.

EDIT: well, I have the new Office thing, but in French (Québec city) and I can't find how to change the language.

I want to know what the disclaimer about the office 365 subscription is about once it's out of preview stage. I hope to god they don't act like a bunch of stupid ******* and make it 365 only.

Still can't install it here. Absolutely nothing happens.

Maybe the language is some absurd location based automatic setting?

RémiM

No idea why you can't install it. Did you try a reboot ?

It's kind of a black box this Beta Store.

As you say the language trick must be an absurd location setting. All my computer is in English, but these 3 new apps are in French. I am a francophone, so I don't really care, but I hate to have a multi-languages device. Just for the consistency.

RémiM

Ok, I figured out my language problem.

I uninstalled the french-Canadian package (that was in number 2 -- number 1 being english), uninstall the Office preview apps, restarted my SP3.

For some reasons the Beta Store switched back to english. I re-installed the Office apps, and they are in english.

Odd.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ooo, shiny new update. No idea what it's supposed to have fixed though. Wish it would have notified me about the restart though, spent the last hour trying to buffer that 20 minute video. Bah

mitchellvii

You know it's funny. I traded in my Yoga 2 Pro for this because I wanted the pen and to be honest, I haven't even used the pen in 2 weeks. I actually even knew that going in - that I would rarely write because I type so much faster and more legibly, but it just BUGGED me that the Y2P didn't give me that option. Have always been that way about pen based tablets since the original View. I also own a Note 4. Never use the pen on that either. Always wanted it, never use it. I'm weird.

You know it's funny. I traded in my Yoga 2 Pro for this because I wanted the pen and to be honest, I haven't even used the pen in 2 weeks. I actually even knew that going in - that I would rarely write because I type so much faster and more legibly, but it just BUGGED me that the Y2P didn't give me that option. Have always been that way about pen based tablets since the original View. I also own a Note 4. Never use the pen on that either. Always wanted it, never use it. I'm weird.

I'd gladly take it off your hands :)
As a college student I use it daily... there are still a few old school professors that don't allow any electronic devices which is a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.