What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

Interesting tidbit... I didn't get the "new" MUI OneNote on any of my systems, whether I upgraded or did a clean install of Windows 10. Turns out, the way for me to get it (and I do want it, just to be in line with the other Office Preview apps) is to uninstall the "old" MUI OneNote, then download OneNote from the beta Store (it shows screenshots from the old app, but it's the Preview). That worked.

Got that from Gabe Aul himself via Twitter (to drop a name). Still don't understand why I didn't get the new one by default, but whatevs. It's all beta, after all.

lhauser

Just curious... what is everyone's browser of choice when using the SP3 in tablet mode?

I have to say, I am really missing Modern IE. I have tried all of these:

-Current IE; crashes constantly; not touch friendly
-Chrome; Will not launch in "Windows 8" mode anymore
-Firefox/Nightly; Just installed this tonight, decent... no gesture support that I can see
-Opera; Been using this the past few days as its playing nicely with my company's web apps; still not touch friendly
-Vivaldi; Pretty much the same as Opera

I fully understand where we are with Windows 10 right now. I get that spartan is coming and im excited for it. Just wish I had something decent now that had halfway useful touch-friendly functionality including gesture. I use my SP3 all day at work but when Im winding down at home I find myself wanting to pick up my iPad now because its less of a pain to browse web content.

I'm using Chrome. As you say, it no longer boots to Windows 8 mode, but the browser is very responsive to touch. It scrolls nicely by touch, and the back/forward buttons and tabs are big enough for me.

One odd thing it does is launch two windows whenever I start it, and a second default window when I open something from an outside link. It's hard to tell which of these is the main window; sometimes one window is completely unresponsive to touch or mouse, while another works fine. I work around this; it's not been enough of a pain to worry much about.

I do miss Modern IE (but not its lack of plugins) and am waiting anxiously for Spartan.

lhauser

http://www.neowin.net/news/download-word-excel-and-powerpoint-office-touch-apps-for-windows-10

Links at the bottom. I also couldn't find it by simply searching store. I also can't install it. I click install and the button greys out but nothing actually happens.

I installed Word. I have Office 2013 on already, and I'm guessing it uses a lot of the existing code, because it started out as an 80+ MB download and when I looked at it half a minute later it was telling me it had installed. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but I like the look of the touch ribbon.

erandhawa

So I've done the jump back and forth a few times between 8.1 and 10. My reason for going back to 8.1 is always the fan noise. I was wondering if with any of the recent updates anyone has noticed any improvements in that aspect. I would like to point out I am using a Surface Pro 3 i7/256.

Thanks

GTiceman

Last night I decided to a fresh install of 9926, so I downloaded the ISO backed up the few local files and made a Bootable USB Drive with Windows 10 Build 9926, ran Windows Update loaded Office 365 x64 Pro Plus added back my Apps and it is running so much better, I wasn't able to come out of Connected Standby with the upgraded stock 8.1 to 10 (multiple flights).

Much more stable and speedy :) The whole thing took less than an hour :)

Did you do a completely clean install or just wipe all files from the installer in windows?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I've done the jump back and forth a few times between 8.1 and 10. My reason for going back to 8.1 is always the fan noise. I was wondering if with any of the recent updates anyone has noticed any improvements in that aspect. I would like to point out I am using a Surface Pro 3 i7/256.

Thanks

No fan noise whatsoever here under normal use. Absolutely no difference between 10 and 8.1 (i5/128)

sdreamer

Anyone notice the ability to turn off the Pen cursor? Lag is less noticeable now since there isn't a visual cue, but it's still there, but not as apparent. I'd only advise this for N-Trig users as accuracy is a little bit better with those than Wacom, thus not really needed the cursor to show where it is.

I really want to stay on 10 to provide more feedback, but battery life was abysmal. Did anyone else experience this? Is this something that goes away after a while? Wasn't sure if it was because it was busy syncing or indexing something, but mine died midway through a class I was teaching, lol.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never quite understood the need for the pen cursor other than in an extremely small number of instances. It's not like we have to punch blindly with one of those cheap capacitive rubber tipped jobs, this pen has a pretty fine nib.

Interesting about the improvements following a clean install @jnjroach might have to look into that when i get a bit of free time (having no luck reverting to 8.1 so not like i've much use for that 25gb windows.old folder

GTiceman

Complete wipe and fresh install, I formatted the Windows Partition so nothing would be left....

That's what I figured and what I did last night. Deleted all the partitions and started from scratch. Once I got the drivers in, didn't take long, and Windows Update ran, which did take long, the SP3 is as solid as a rock. Amazing how much better versus the 8.1 upgrade route.

m0v1em4n

That's what I figured and what I did last night. Deleted all the partitions and started from scratch. Once I got the drivers in, didn't take long, and Windows Update ran, which did take long, the SP3 is as solid as a rock. Amazing how much better versus the 8.1 upgrade route.

Did you have get the drivers, or was they with the win 10 iso, Presuming you installed from the iso

Status
Not open for further replies.