What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RémiM

That's what I figured and what I did last night. Deleted all the partitions and started from scratch. Once I got the drivers in, didn't take long, and Windows Update ran, which did take long, the SP3 is as solid as a rock. Amazing how much better versus the 8.1 upgrade route.

That is what @mitchellvii should do. Just sayin' !

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps my good fortune with Windows 10 Build 9926 is that soon after installing it, I did a "Refresh".

GTiceman

Did you have get the drivers, or was they with the win 10 iso, Presuming you installed from the iso

I grabbed the January Drivers from MS and put them on the USB key as well. Most drivers installed but some did not and I had to install manually. I extracted the ISO. The Windows 7 USB tool doesn't work as UEFI apparently looks for FAT32 to boot from USB.

If I extract the Windows 10 ISO to a memory card presume I will be able to install from that ?

Not sure as to that. As I mentioned above I used a USB stick formatted to FAT32 with the extracted ISO and drivers to do a fully clean install

RémiM

If I extract the Windows 10 ISO to a memory card presume I will be able to install from that ?

What I did was: re-install Win8.1 with USB key (using the recovery image available here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage), once installed I did all the updates but I did not install my apps or programs. Then I upgraded to 9926. Straight and clean. Once Win10 installed, I did the updates and then I installed all my apps-programs.

Since then Win10 has been solid like a rock. It's another way to get a stable system, and maybe a little bit easier.

sdreamer

I've never quite understood the need for the pen cursor other than in an extremely small number of instances. It's not like we have to punch blindly with one of those cheap capacitive rubber tipped jobs, this pen has a pretty fine nib.

Interesting about the improvements following a clean install @jnjroach might have to look into that when i get a bit of free time (having no luck reverting to 8.1 so not like i've much use for that 25gb windows.old folder
The point of the pen cursor is because Wacom can have offset so youd need it to be able to accurately do anything with it. The other reason is more legacy. Before having on screen digitizers tablets were a separate device so youd need that to see where your pen was, check out the Wacom Intuous.

on another note, just found out that the split osk has changed as well. it isnt one solid osk, the split in the middle has removed the numpad to allow users to ass whats inbetween, and you can adjust the height. handy for portrait so you arent holding your tablet way at the bottom uncomfortably to type.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
FYI - When I did my clean install, all of my drivers that were missing were installed during the Windows Update Process (I had around 6 "Other Devices"). Unlike previous builds the Marvell Driver is included in 9926. I still seeing errors around the People App and Lync causing crashing coming out of CS. If I exit Lync it seems to work much better...

GTiceman

I think my crashes are due to Chrome Canary. I removed it and the system seems fine.

EDIT: NM Colored screen and then Blue screen

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The point of the pen cursor is because Wacom can have offset so youd need it to be able to accurately do anything with it. The other reason is more legacy. Before having on screen digitizers tablets were a separate device so youd need that to see where your pen was, check out the Wacom Intuous.

on another note, just found out that the split osk has changed as well. it isnt one solid osk, the split in the middle has removed the numpad to allow users to ass whats inbetween, and you can adjust the height. handy for portrait so you arent holding your tablet way at the bottom uncomfortably to type.

What has wacom got to do with the SP3 though?

@mitchellvii when you roll back, are you doing it from within windows (in the windows update page) or are you refereing to some other recovery thing? I just did a recovery from within windows and it just rolled back to 9879. Do you need a usb recovery disk?

m0v1em4n

Hi Guys,
Could do with a little help, Ok I have the ISO image of win 10 and a USB drive.
Can I just extract the iso and drag to USB drive and boot or do I need to make the USB drive bootable, I have tried a few ways but it doesn't seem to booting from it.
I have read that if I press and hold the volume down button, then press the power button still holding the volume button till the surface logo appears then let go of the volume button it will give me a boot menu or boot from the USB drive.
Plus would appreciate if someone could link to the surface drivers, can't seem to find them

Thanks

GTiceman

Hi Guys,
Could do with a little help, Ok I have the ISO image of win 10 and a USB drive.
Can I just extract the iso and drag to USB drive and boot or do I need to make the USB drive bootable, I have tried a few ways but it doesn't seem to booting from it.
I have read that if I press and hold the volume down button, then press the power button still holding the volume button till the surface logo appears then let go of the volume button it will give me a boot menu or boot from the USB drive.
Plus would appreciate if someone could link to the surface drivers, can't seem to find them

Thanks

I mentioned in my previous post you can't use the Windows 7 tool as it formats the drive in NTFS, you need to have it formatted as FAT32 for it to be bootable on the SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.