What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0b123

Okay, so, yes: I installed 10041 yesterday from Windows 8.1. Went to the Windows Insider page to kick off the install, which actually started with 9926. After a few rounds up (somewhat funky) updates, was given 10041 as an update and I successfully installed it. After yet another round of updates, I'm now in the process of downloading 10041 AGAIN, which frustratingly is going very, very slowly.

I'm very curious to see what happens when the download is complete. I'm guessing I'll get an error that it can't be installed, which will likely stick with me through this build as the phantom system update stuck with me through 9926.

Honestly, I have no idea why I'm putting myself through this process. I keep turning a perfectly happy and functional SP3 into a bloody nightmare. I need to have my head examined, I think.

Interesting, so the build does show 9926 on the desktop and it keeps prompting to install updates? I'm curious if you already have the new build installed but keep getting the update like they're saying on the Known Issues for 10041.

r0b123

Nice pics of the 3.5" disks Sharp!! I have big box stored with old software which I keep telling myself I should zip up. Oh well... that pic brings back some memories!!

lonaysta

I think it sends you back to Windows 3.1.
Or Windows 95 (named so because that's how many disks it came on).

View attachment 5734

Those vintage precious....
Anyway I'd appreciate if someone could give it a try. Honestly I see more bug reports on 10041's installation and initial experience. Besides, I believe Windows Blog recently posted something about the feature that recovery partition is no longer used in Windows 10 for factory resets. Wonder how that would affect.

B

B'midbar

Alright, you guys convinced me. Going in. Used to the delays on large upgrades, installs. Have seen Win 8.1 sit there for 10-15 minutes at 95% more times than I care to count.

21 minutes to pull, another 13 to update, 35 minutes to reboot twice and install with, yeah, a solid ten minutes stuck at 4%. Another 5 minutes for "Taking care of a few things, Installing your apps," then had my desktop briefly before going black screen. Stared at it for 10 minutes waiting for it to come back, I finally did a hard reset and everything came back fine. 1:15 hrs from end-to-end, it feels like a full install. Colors are sharper, performance feels a slight bit better, my 64-bit Waterfox is consuming a lot less memory and CPU is idling at 4%.

Looks like 10041 porked about 11GB of disk space, the 300MB and 400MB partitions at the beginning and end of the disk are 100% free now. Still have my Macrium Reflect .rimg files for Win 8.1 coming into Win10 TP and my 9926 build both just in case something goes completely arse over teacups, but short of our own backups doesn't look like we can't go back without a restore or a wipe and new install.

I had Office 2013 Pro and everything is still the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

B'midbar

Running Wise Disk Cleaner 8 Common and Advanced Cleaner, and Slimming System I got 1GB space back. It showed that Restore had been disabled and asked if I wanted to re-enable, which I did. Disk Cleanup shows 15.7GB for previous Windows Installation. I'll run another Macrium image, then nuke it as I'm down to 36GB free.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluegrass

I turn the gamma all the way down on my SP3 since I like really black text, but I seem to notice in this build colors look richer and more poppy in general.

Also, just me or is there no longer a battery icon on the taskbar? Battery indicator on popup "Show hidden icons" arrow is invisible.

My task tray has a battery icon.

rege0039

I know I asked this before but haven't updated to the newest build yesterday and now I can't get it work again.

I want to pin web pages to the start menu so I can go straight to a specific site from the start menu, I've tried to drag the little icon to the start menu and it doesn't work anymore !

mitchellvii

I know I asked this before but haven't updated to the newest build yesterday and now I can't get it work again.

I want to pin web pages to the start menu so I can go straight to a specific site from the start menu, I've tried to drag the little icon to the start menu and it doesn't work anymore !

Have you considered putting the Links Toolbar on the Taskbar?

wynand32

Interesting, so the build does show 9926 on the desktop and it keeps prompting to install updates? I'm curious if you already have the new build installed but keep getting the update like they're saying on the Known Issues for 10041.

Actually, what's even better is that I already have 10041 installed, and that's what's indicated on the desktop. It's just, for whatever reason, downloading (and I presume eventually trying to install) the 10041 update _again_.

Status
Not open for further replies.