What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0v1em4n

Well Guy,

I installed Chrome because of my scrolling issues when using IE and Spartan, but for some reason Chrome doesn't load all the time, but on a good note, since installing Chrome scrolling as got better in IE, still not perfect , Go figure

pbaird

Saw on the insider forum that one of the windows team members acknowledged screwing up VPNs on 10049, and that they probably won't fix it on the next build. As a result, I had to drop back to 8.1, and I can't believe how much I'd gotten used to 10 already. 8.1 just seems blah now.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... one of the windows team members acknowledged screwing up VPNs on 10049 ...

VPN works very well for me on 10049 via Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
@pbaird, did you actually test it before regressing to 8.1?

Screenshot (2).png

wynand32

Saw on the insider forum that one of the windows team members acknowledged screwing up VPNs on 10049, and that they probably won't fix it on the next build. As a result, I had to drop back to 8.1, and I can't believe how much I'd gotten used to 10 already. 8.1 just seems blah now.

Honestly, Win8.1 might be "blah," but boy is it more stable. I'm sticking with 10049 on my SP3 for now because it's too much of a pain to revert back, but stability is not a Windows 10 strength right now. On my desktop, it's unusable and I'm back on Win8.1 fulltime until the next build.

Oh, and Windows 10 killed my Dell Venue 8 Pro. I'm waiting for a USB drive from Dell to restore it, since they don't provide one via download and the factory partitions were hosed.

Just whining, of course. That's life on the bleeding edge.

pbaird

VPN works very well for me on 10049 via Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
@pbaird, did you actually test it before regressing to 8.1?

Yes, I use Juniper VPN client. It worked great until 10049. I tried many things, including trying some registry edits based on suggestions in the insider forum, but no luck. I did see where some people managed to get openvpn and pia vpn working again, but I didn't have the same luck. Just can't risk that kind of downtime unfortunately.

Last edited:

m0v1em4n

Just can't believe how much they mess this build up, yes you expect the odd bug but not this.
Messed up for me is

• My VPN doesn't work in this build
  • Track pad scrolling is messed up in IE and Spartan
  • I installed Chrome so I could use my track pad whilst browsing, and that is suffering from intermittent loading,and will only load in administrator mode and then when it does load I am unable to type in the address bar intermittently
  • I am now getting a constant notification about a scheduled restart, but when I check for update there is nothing there.
All in all what a mess, make you think is this the first time they have ever created an operating system, personally think they should have nightly builds so we can get fixes a lot quicker.

Just can't believe how much they mess this build up, yes you expect the odd bug but not this.
Messed up for me is

• My VPN doesn't work in this build
  • Track pad scrolling is messed up in IE and Spartan
  • I installed Chrome so I could use my track pad whilst browsing, and that is suffering from intermittent loading,and will only load in administrator mode and then when it does load I am unable to type in the address bar intermittently
  • I am now getting a constant notification about a scheduled restart, but when I check for update there is nothing there.
All in all what a mess, make you think is this the first time they have ever created an operating system, personally think they should have nightly builds so we can get fixes a lot quicker.

Slow ring, fast ring, please-kill-me ring. I like that.

I couldn't take my pen issues anymore so I did a clean install of Windows 10 and that still couldn't fix it. I'm back on Windows 8.1 and my pen is working the way it should.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
make you think is this the first time they have ever created an operating system

isn't this the first time that they've done such a public beta release process? I'm sure that in the past al this kind of stuff happened for every OS they were building, only this time we get to enjoy it before an RTM version etc.

At the end of the day, the way i see it is that they now have more time to focus on "things" due to an army of the public reporting all the smaller bugs and such that they'd rather not have to spend their time searching for. It's a tech preview, it's rather a given that things are going to go wrong or get broken, that's all in the nature of creating software. We are just an extension of their de-bugging process :)

All in all, it's a free OS that for the most part works. I can't complain. Does what i need to do without having to resort to ubuntu.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
isn't this the first time that they've done such a public beta release process? I'm sure that in the past al this kind of stuff happened for every OS they were building, only this time we get to enjoy it before an RTM version etc.

At the end of the day, the way i see it is that they now have more time to focus on "things" due to an army of the public reporting all the smaller bugs and such that they'd rather not have to spend their time searching for. It's a tech preview, it's rather a given that things are going to go wrong or get broken, that's all in the nature of creating software. We are just an extension of their de-bugging process :)

All in all, it's a free OS that for the most part works. I can't complain. Does what i need to do without having to resort to ubuntu.
Actually with the exception of Windows 8.x, this was how the Win2K, XP, Vista and Windows 7 betas were run. I received a Vista Build about every 2-3 weeks. The difference was we had to do clean installs as upgrading wasn't supported.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually with the exception of Windows 8.x, this was how the Win2K, XP, Vista and Windows 7 betas were run. I received a Vista Build about every 2-3 weeks. The difference was we had to do clean installs as upgrading wasn't supported.

I stand corrected. Were they available to the wider public of just MSDN subscribers etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.