What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrass

Windows 10 is far from done ! It is still very buggy, and not functionnal.
I don't see how they can release it on the end of July.
There is so much more to do !
W10 has to be perfect for his launch, otherwise Microsoft is over. Windows 8 was a disaster. W10 has to be a success.
And I fear it won't...

Wow! That's a pretty strong statement. I don't know of any software with the complexity of an OS to not have some bugs in at launch or even a year after launch.

bluegrass

As far as the GUI being lacking (such as the so far less than pathetic Start Menu), it's not as if MS doesn't have the tools to make this balls-out amazing. I believe that what we are seeing (or not seeing as the case may be) is a Management decision to NOT make the Start Menu awesome. MS has politics like any other large organization and I promise you there are powerful voices who are still butt-hurt over the idea we are going back to the Start Button concept at all, and they'll be damned if they are going to make it fantastic so the whole world can say, "See, Windows 8 was dumb, THIS is how you should have done it from the beginning!"

I'll be amazed if the Start Menu in W10 is dramatically improved from it's current lame state in the final release. This will make two groups of people happy - the Management idiots at MS and the owners of Stardock.

** P.S., Yes, I am taunting MS on this. I DARE them to prove me wrong. They don't have the stones.

I'm just curious what most people feel is missing from the present Start Menu, that they used all the time in the Windows 7 Start Menu. For me the W10 Start Screen is an improved Windows 8.1 Start Screen but it feels like as in Window 8.1, we still have a 2nd OS, the Desktop. One minor thing that bugs me is when I launce an app from the Start Screen, it doesn't return you to the Start Screen when you close the app. Of course 8.1 did the same thing. Does that bother anyone else.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 8 tiles was well received? By whom? I would not say it prevails so much as it remains. Rather than a Start Button revival I would call call the W10 iteration a grudging ...

Wow, such angry birds hanging around the wires here.

In my circles, I know
- many PC people whom like that Tiles feels more like what they like on a phone. Phones don't have Start buttons
- many Apple people whom have been drawn towards PCs due to Windows 8 and tiles
- many younger people with same comments as these two
- many corporate clients whom welcome the changes coming in the form of Windows 10, and will finally move from Windows 7 as a result.

You asked.
Market is deciding.

rkz

I would like to see the return of recent documents. That is surprisingly helpful. When did that stop? XP maybe?

SteveMac

fbl_impressive Professional 10061 downloading now.........
2015-04-23_09-48-05.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Tablet Mode is very different in 10061 and it may be I need to reboot, but Office 2016 won't launch in Tablet Mode but the Touch First versions will....

ScottyS

Only been farbling around on 10061 about an hour now, but I'd recommend you take a look re: your Start Menu, GUI grievances. ;)
Yes! My only complaint about the start menu was it's fixed size. Now I can re-size it!

Only I don't have a shortcut to Spartan on either taskbar or in start menu. Have to type it into Cortana to launch.

EDIT: I found it, only it's called
@{Microsift.Windows.Spartan_0.10.10049.0_neutral>neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Microsoft.Windows.Spartan/Resources/AppName}

That's quite a mouthful.

Last edited:

psychoboogie

I tried a few builds ago and inking in one note did not work

Things would disappear

Not sure if it was a one drive problem

Has it been resolved?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried a few builds ago and inking in one note did not work

Things would disappear

Not sure if it was a one drive problem

Has it been resolved?
The last update to OneNote 2016 Preview seemed t fixed the disappearing inking for me and is still working in tbs build.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Tablet Mode is very different in 10061 and it may be I need to reboot, but Office 2016 won't launch in Tablet Mode but the Touch First versions will....
Never mind, the shortcuts on my Start Menu didn't work, searching for each appears to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.