What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
10061 broke my VMware Workstation 11 install, 10074 has as well along with Office 2013 and Intuit Quickbooks Pro. Repaired or re-installed on all three, reboot and everything worked again.
Make sure you bug that so they can work with VMware and Intuit....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I appreciate what MS are doing with Windows 10, and there are some extremely great features coming.

But for me (and I know others have said this) the tablet mode is basically pointless, it's essentially a maximised desktop mode with clumsy navigation. Seems like an afterthought. Windows 8.1 functions far superior in comparison. (Build 10074).

Oh well - still nice to try.
Continuum is being refined, during the Build Keynote yesterday they showed a much later build (122xx) and Tablet mode looked like Windows 10 on Phones...

mitchellvii

Giving 10074 a try. Still dismayed at how undeveloped the Start Menu is. They could do SO much but apparently have decided to do as little as possible. But hey, they did add the completely useless little flip animation. I'm sure there was a hue and cry from the masses for THAT gem.

And seriously MS, the BEST you can give me on a non-Metro app tile is a tiny circa 1992 icon in the middle of a gray square? That's it? Really? No artistic tendencies at all then, like making the graphic somehow fill the tile and look just a little cool as in Android Icon Packs? And when I click a tile no cool animation like on Windows Phone? Nothing then? Great. I see the Department of Boring is hiring like gangbusters.

I don't know who is in charge of the UX on the Start Menu but they need to lose their Christmas bonus.

mitchellvii

Other than the Start Menu UX everything seems to work fine and be quick. One of the best things about Windows 10 is the improved scaling for external monitors and the excellent font-smoothing.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I know I cannot change the default search engine for Edge (Spartan) away from Bing.

But how to change my IE 11 search engine default? Trying, but no joy.

Is anyone else missing the start menu? Since I went to 10074 my windows button on the screen does not work and selecting the logo on the taskbar doesnt work either, with mouse, trackpad, or touch.

I tried searching but came up with no results.

Gary.M

Is anyone else missing the start menu? Since I went to 10074 my windows button on the screen does not work and selecting the logo on the taskbar doesnt work either, with mouse, trackpad, or touch.

I tried searching but came up with no results.
That happened to me once since updating to 10074. I had to reboot by holding power button down and then slide to switch off. Has so far been working since.

Is there a way to not use the handwriting panel as default ie. to just bring up virtual keyboard? I know I can change it every time but it would be cool to set it as default.

Arizona Willie

Installed 074 and Cortana STILL will not work for me.

Dragon Naturally Speaking hears me but Cortana does not seem to.
She will not speak my name either, or anything else for that matter.

The little circular animation is activated but nothing else happens.

My microphone is set at 1oo% for it's level.

When I set up the microphone and test it, the green bar shoots all the way to the top but still nothing from Cortana.

I also got taken to something called Microsoft Edge when I first started up and it appears to be a NEW browser!!!

Did they decide to rename Spartan?

Status
Not open for further replies.