What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsongx

To close a app in tablet mode you just swipe down from the top of the screen just like in windows 8. If you are asking how to access the secondary menu in the modern apps the only to do this at the time is via the hamburger menu-app command.

Thanks for your reply.
But I mean the command of closing a file (in Nook, Xodo docs, etc.) to go back to its file selection/opening screen, not close the app.

I do not like current win10, especially on SP3, feel it sacrifice many touchscreen features for another cursor-based desktop OS, with millions of switches (still increasing), and tons of halfway promises...
However, i believe most win7 users will like it.

Last edited:

Gbenro

I'm not sure how you guys manage with this being your main OS. I've been using it for a while and it pretty much frustrates me daily.

1) My fan is ALWAYS on. Know only a few of us experience this but it's pretty bad
2) Tablet mode has so many bugs and is pretty inefficient right now
3) At times, the computer just doesn't wake up from sleep. Just stays at black screen. Happens almost daily
4) At times, apps open up in desktop mode almost as though it's opening on a smartphone (so much smaller screen estate). Some only have the title bar and have to be dragged to see the full app
5) Battery life is absolutely horrible. It appears the Surface Pro 3 never goes to sleep so if put in a bag, just keeps bleeding battery until it runs out. That only takes about 3-4 hours for me when not using it and it's in a bag partly because it becomes hot (which I suspect is why the fan is always running)
6) Does anyone else have to use win+power button to unlock their screens at times? I'm not sure what prompts that but when it happens, it's an indicator that the SP3 is about misbehaving
7) At times, the start button stops working and I'm stuck in an opened app. It's impossible to switch apps (alt+tab or win+tab doesn't work) and can't get to the start menu or start screen. Only solution I've found is to restart and this happens about every 2 days
8) A lot of apps that worked in Windows 8.1 don't work for some reason. Tapatalk can't get past the home screen, Surface Hub no longer works. My Craigslist app doesn't work. then, some new Windows 10 replacement apps still don't work e.g. People.
9) The Mail app is pretty horrid right now. Can't deal w/ attachments and never downloads mails completely. I have to select download the full mail and it takes a while before that gets done
10) The Photo app doesn't use the local library but instead, tries to stream from OneDrive. Makes no sense as I have all my pictures synced from OneDrive locally but it still tries to go online. It seems like a huge regression so far.
11) Spartan becomes extremely slow after about 7 or more tabs are opened. I've gone back to using IE
12) For some weird reason, the internet seems much slower in Windows 10 than in Windows 8.1. Speed tests show same results but pages take longer to load. Must be some optimization not working out well
13) MS said a fix was coming a while back but still can't download music using the Music Preview or regular Music app
14) Store Beta has now way of showing recently updated apps so I can at least look forward to some apps being fixed
15) At times, pen stops working for no apparent reason.

That's all I can remember for now but I'm sure there are more. Even right now, typing in IE, the text's showing up much after I've typed and this is after a recent restart of my PC with nothing much running.

I did do a clean install.

Tbh, not sure how others have such good luck with this build. I use it as my daily driver but with a lot of frustrations. I've tried to revert to Windows 8.1 but that's looking like a lot of work cos I've lost my previous installation. Looking forward to the next build soon though., If that still has many issues, I'll figure out a way to revert.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Gbenro

I 'liked' your post, but I do not like that you have such poor experience with Windows 10. Sorry for all that, and thanks for your patience - enough to compose this list.

Several of the issues are related to the power management (number 5 in your list). Loss of response occurs after the hibernation/shut down/power bug interferes.

I also run Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15, and it does not experience any of this - since the virtual machine is shielded from having to do PC power management. Windows 10 on the mac works better than on my SP3, albeit, without Continuum, touch screen, Tablet Mode, etc.

That gives me hope that power and mode management is the source of just about all these problems.

So how do I avoid them on the SP3? When I shut down, I usually do one of these things:
1) Choose "Shut Down" from the Start Menu. Do not close the type cover until keyboard lights are out, and no activity is detected
2) Hold the power button for 10 seconds until keyboard lights are out, and no activity is detected

bmack

I use it as my main device and I agree its very frustrating with all the bugs. But I can't complain because its all expected at this point in the game.

bender

So, yesterday I've deleted my Win8.1 and installed Win10 10074 as production system!

=> Issues
1. PIN Login without typecover use (but connected)=> Digit '1' is untouchable!
2. Right-Click with 1 finger long press without any choice => every click will recognized as right click until I do right click with 2 fingers or with stylus.
3. Explorer/Start menu sometimes not available => end process and restart for accessable start menu!
4. Stylus problems
5. Use as tablet with fingers => clicking and double click sometimes won't work

And how I activate BitLocker?

mitchellvii

Well, glad to hear at least 2 other users are having significant fan usage after being told repeatedly "something must be wrong with my computer". My fan runs close to constantly and goes full jet engine anytime I try holding it in tablet mode. Fan basically never runs in 8.1 unless I'm playing a game or something else where one would expect it to.

Still at this point I'm also addicted to the updates so I'll stick with it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, glad to hear at least 2 other users are having significant fan usage after being told repeatedly "something must be wrong with my computer". My fan runs close to constantly and goes full jet engine anytime I try holding it in tablet mode. Fan basically never runs in 8.1 unless I'm playing a game or something else where one would expect it to.

Still at this point I'm also addicted to the updates so I'll stick with it.

That changes what? Your machine is not running as it is meant to, there is something wrong with your system. If there were not then surely we would all be experiencing this? Or is your system normal, and ours are just super normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.