What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok. I take back the sleep button workaround to the black screen. Just had this happen to me again. Apparently it's only when I disconnect the keyboard and the system goes to Continuum where this bug comes about. Seriously a pain. Coupled with the black picture password, I'm almost to the point of going back to 8.1.

I just experienced the black screen. Literally unplugged powder cable, pressed piewer button, then pressed again. Normally following this, I would hold thenpoewer button, and the slide to shut down action would appear, and I could properly shut down. This time, it flashed a couple of times and then eventually showed the lock screen and I could log in as normal. Either way, its a pretty damn annoying bug. Justblike that pointless alt Ctrl delete sequence just to access the password login screen.

mitchellvii

I think the issue Mitch has goesfar beyond simpole sync work. Seems to have been persistent from day one (granted he seems to revert to 8.1 every other day, but most on this forum seem to have had no fan issues following sync and updating etc.

You really are given to hyperbole, aren't you?

If anything, the responses in this forum have taught us that W10 Preview is capricious and behaves differently on every machine. You have experienced a number of issues upgrading to 10122 that literally no one else did. Using your love for drawing broad conclusions from a tiny data set, I could say your SP3 is clearly defective in some way as no one else is experiencing your issues.

Last edited:

ScottyS

Funny thing is, after all of this effort, I'm questioning if 10122 is a build I want to move to. I'm seriously considering sticking with Win8.1 until the next build is released, maybe even the next Slow ring build with ISO. Ultimately, I need my SP3 to be functional; I'm kind of tired of using my MacBook Air due to issues with Windows 10 (not complaining, just stating the practical truth).
I'm with you.
I did try disk cleanup and then C:\Temp\psexec.exe –s –i cmd.exe and rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN and it still wouldn't install.
I'm done trying work-arounds and fix-its. Especially for a build so many are still having problems.
Hopefully MS will release a build the installs and works.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You really are given to hyperbole, aren't you?

If anything, the responses in this forum have taught us that W10 Preview is capricious and behaves differently on every machine. You have experienced a number of issues upgrading to 10122 that literally no one else did. Using your love for drawing broad conclusions from a tiny data set, I could say your SP3 is clearly defective in some way as no one else is experiencing your issues.

You seem to have a hard time differentiating between system and hardware. I have already stated that clearly my system was defective, hence a day of fiddling before I finally had it running as it has been designed to.

Gbenro

On a slightly different note, has anyone noticed that Store beta actually doesn't update apps? My store beta is set to auto-update my apps and I noticed when I went to the old store app that there are a lot of apps waiting to be updated (I turned off auto-update in the old store). I'm not sure if this is just an issue I have or if others experience it but it'd explain why my preview apps (photos, music etc) only ever seem to get updated when I install a new build. I also can't get the store beta to manually update apps. When I click on "Check for updates", nothing happens

wynand32

Okay, I'm a glutton for punishment and am giving the update another try. And this time, I'm stuck at 17%/48%.

Seriously. Wow. Hee hee (crazy cackle so I don't cry). This build is such a stinking mess.

So, where is a safe source of the 10122 ISO?

mitchellvii

Here's a helpful idea on Spartan. When using the highlighter pen, have the highlighter follow the line of text so we have nice straight highlight lines. There really is no conceivable benefit to a freehand highlighter.

mtech

Just wondering if anyone else having this problem. I try changing the scaling to 150%, but it always revert to 225% after logoff/login or restart.

smar

Okay, I'm a glutton for punishment and am giving the update another try. And this time, I'm stuck at 17%/48%.

Seriously. Wow. Hee hee (crazy cackle so I don't cry). This build is such a stinking mess.

So, where is a safe source of the 10122 ISO?

I also had to spend quite a bit of time and permutations trying to do the upgrade. I was about to give up, but in the end found the following sequence to work for me:
  1. Clean install of 10074 from an ISO
  2. run disk cleaner (and basically delete everything)
  3. run the cmd shell command as referenced in previous posts
  4. then the 10122 upgrade immediately
This then worked.

Clean install from 10074 without both the additional steps before upgrade continued to fail at 18%.

Kris

Is there a way for a OneDrive folder to show up on the folder tree but be online only? The option was as easy as right clicking it on Windows 8.1, and choosing that option, but can't find it on Windows 10.

Edit: Found the answer. Apparently this option was removed because it confused people...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.