What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbenro

@Gbenro

The Store Beta is Indeed "Beta". Go to "My Library" and download a few. Others will follow.

Nothing follows for me after downloading apps using "My Library". Apparently, the new People app was updated and no longer crashes. Because I didn't receive this update and can't uninstall the app, I'm stuck with the old version which still crashes whenever I try to open it.

mitchellvii

Ok, here is what is so strange about this fan business. It only seems to go really nuts when I hold the SP3 as a tablet. I just did that, and with a single Spartan window open, CPU usage spiked to 87% and Memory usage spiked to 82%. Of course fan came on full blast. No videos, no flash, nothing - just a simple HTML page. This continued until I put the tablet back on my desk with the keyboard extended. Fan immediately quit and usage went back to normal. In this forum, 2 or 3 other users have reported this same odd behavior while others seem to be having no issues. No problems under 8.1 at all.

So odd.

** Looks like I'm still getting 79% memory usage with just Spartan window open in desktop mode. I have a 128/4gb unit. Memory and CPU usage never got even close to these levels in 8.1.

Last edited:

gbenrus25

I just went back to windows 8.1 (having been on Windows 10 for the last 3 months) and just realized how much I had missed it. For me, the usability of Windows 8.1 is far better than Windows 10 from a touch perspective. All the modem apps and the design style also seem to use touch much better than Windows 10. As an example, in the mail app, you simply click on one message to start selecting multiple messages on Windows 8.1. In Windows 10, you have to click a button at the top of the page to enable multiple mail selection. This behavior is found all through the OSes. Then metro ie is definitely much more touch friendly than spartan. I feel MS took steps back for touch to cater to desktop.

There are obviously features I prefer in Windows 10 but from a design language, Windows 8.1 is better in usability for touch computers I'd say.

Also, Windows 8.1 is very stable. Of course with Windows 10 being beta, it's nowhere near as stable but I don't think I'm cut out for the beta life anymore (at least, for the next day or 2 :))

Last edited:

gbenrus25

I just went back to windows 8.1 (having been on Windows 10 for the last 3 months) and just realized how much I had missed it. For me, the usability of Windows 8.1 is far better than Windows 10 from a touch perspective. All the modem apps and the design style also seem to use touch much better than Windows 10. As an example, in the mail app, you simply click on one message to start selecting multiple messages on Windows 8.1. In Windows 10, you have to click a button at the top of the page to enable multiple mail selection. This behavior is found all through the OSes. Then metro ie is definitely much more touch friendly than spartan. I feel MS took steps back for touch to cater to desktop.

There are obviously features I prefer in Windows 10 but from a design language, Windows 8.1 is better in usability for touch computers I'd say.

Also, Windows 8.1 is very stable. If course with Windows 10 being beta, it's nowhere near as stable but I don't think I'm cut out for the beta life anymore (at least, for the next day or 2 :))
Oh. And I like how the new build of Windows 10 allows you to reset to factory settings (exactly how the PC came) or reset the PC and remain in the current OS. That's awesome. Even though I had lost my windows 8 recovery (and as a result, couldn't revert back on previous builds), it was extremely easy to revert back on 10122.

r0b123

I'm with you.
I did try disk cleanup and then C:\Temp\psexec.exe –s –i cmd.exe and rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN and it still wouldn't install.
I'm done trying work-arounds and fix-its. Especially for a build so many are still having problems.
Hopefully MS will release a build the installs and works.

Finally hit a point where I've tried these steps and others methods but no joy on the update to 10122. I've been on the Insider fast track since October and most updates have been relatively smooth till this one. 10074 is still good for me as my daily production system and will have to wait for an interim fix or update.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a helpful idea on Spartan. When using the highlighter pen, have the highlighter follow the line of text so we have nice straight highlight lines. There really is no conceivable benefit to a freehand highlighter.

One of the reasons i love drawboard. MS really should make it an option, just a toggle. Just like how you can take a screen snip as either whole screen, a resizable box, or free form. I can see the use of free form highlighting, for when you're highlighting your own inking, but not a line of typed text.

mitchellvii

So if you were to open Task Manager when it does that, go to the Processes tab and then sort on the CPU and Memory columns respectively which process(es) are eating the most CPU, the most memory?

Surprisingly, very little other than the browser. System is grabbing some along with Error Reporting.

goodintentions

Also, Windows 8.1 is very stable. Of course with Windows 10 being beta, it's nowhere near as stable but I don't think I'm cut out for the beta life anymore (at least, for the next day or 2 :))
They should call windows 10 windows 7.1, because that's what it is.

8.1 has been very friendly to both touch and desktop. 7.1 is a desktop OS only.

mitchellvii

The way to make Windows 10 stand on it's own is to make the Start Menu truly powerful and beautiful. Custom tile packs (as in Android), jump lists, MS Phone "fly-away" style animations when clicking an icon, automated icon grouping options, etc... . The problem with the Start Menu now is there is simply no "gee whiz" or "wow" to it, unless of course you consider the Metro-style animated tiles rolling over an amazing and super useful feature.

They really need to release their design Kraken and make W10 amazing to look at.

latest

gbenrus25

The way to make Windows 10 stand on it's own is to make the Start Menu truly powerful and beautiful. Custom tile packs (as in Android), jump lists, MS Phone "fly-away" style animations when clicking an icon, automated icon grouping options, etc... . The problem with the Start Menu now is there is simply no "gee whiz" or "wow" to it, unless of course you consider the Metro-style animated tiles rolling over an amazing and super useful feature.

They really need to release their design Kraken and make W10 amazing to look at.

latest
I think we're talking about more than just the start menu although that's also important. Their design language in Metro was good for touch.
1) The new hamburger menu is not as useful as the old one
2) The charms menu was good for touch but so far, that's no real replacement for it in Windows 10. Sharing, printing, taking a screenshot using touch etc have become more difficult on Windows 10. They were very consistent in Windows 8.1. Maybe they can include all the functionality of the charms bar in the new notifications center (as they've done with devices) but till that's done.
3) Searching in apps is no longer consistent as it was in Windows 8.1. This doesn't only affect touch users. Now each app has to have its own search button Vs using the charms search
4) Left right scrolling on the start screen is much better for touch (as can be seen in every other touch device) but that has been neglected to accommodate the start menu. I still think they can use both and I explained how to in my feedback but oh well)
5) Modern Apps had ease of use for touch (like the mail example I gave earlier) and the ease of use has fallen dramatically in the new preview apps IMO. Another example is with the new music apps. Previously, you could swipe from left to right on a song to select it and do it for the other songs. It was fast and painless but now, have to select a button at the top and then click on each song. Maybe I just really notice these things cos I use all these MS apps whereas many others don't use them.

For me, continuum, the notification center and windowed modern apps with Windows 8.1 would be the OS I'd have been waiting for. Add in updated modern apps with similar features as the preview but still using the old design language and would have been golden.

All in all, Windows 10 is definitely not as touch friendly. I noticed this from day 1 up till today (3 months later) when I finally reverted so it's not really. Eventually, I'll need to make peace with the new way but will avoid it for now.

gbenrus25

Tbh, I do think 8.1 was a bit lacking for desktop users also. For me, continuum, the start menu and windowed modern apps fixes that so not sure why they also had to change the design language. Don't think the modern apps were poor on desktops. Just think there was no reason for them to have needed to be full screen especially for desktop users

riley2323

I have not been able to get past 18/62 debacle...tried everything on this post since it came out. Think I was on my seventh time.

Woke up this morning and turn on my SP3 and it kicked off some disk check functionality before it booted up...like what happens sometimes if you do a hard power off on your laptop, win 10 graphics and all...then I get the message that 10122 failed and I was rolled back to 10074. Kept working without paying attention and got the restart notice...figured what the hell...amazingly I upgraded to 10122 in 15 minutes. Was bizarre...i was shocked went it went past 18% when all I did was wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.