What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

Just fyi for your future intel driver browsing pleasure... 10.18.15.x are Win 10 series drivers. 10.18.14.x are win 8.1 and below. :) Intel does NOT post beta drivers for unreleased OS's on their site.

wynand32

While it's going to be a pretty big change, I think it's going to be easier for Windows 7 users to transition to Windows 10, than it would be for those same people going to Windows 8/8.1. The Metro style things aren't drastically different than other apps now, since they don't go to new screens and stay on the desktop, unless the user clicks the button for tablet mode.

Agreed, 100%. For me, the absolute worst things about Win8.1 are the segregation between desktop (treating it like its own app) and the modern environment, and the disconcerting and jarring transition between the two. Take that away, and I think the adjustment is much, much easier. I think the Tile-ized Start menu is a complete plus, and people will adjust to it quickly and intuitively. After all, they're used to icons from the tablets and smartphones.

wynand32

Will the RTM release only work as an upgrade I wonder ? i.e.do I have to leave 8.1 on to be able to get the RC on 29th July ?

Was wondering about removing 8.1 entirely, so getting latest full ISO (whatever number that was ) putting on to USB and then starting fresh with Windows 10 and no left overs from 8,1, then updating to get whatever will be latest build from there but if I need to keep 8.1 to get full Windows 1o may be it's not worth it !

Any opinions ? Who amongst you has gone 'all in' and got rid of 8.1 entirely.

I'm dual booting at the moment but other than poor battery life on Windows 10 I am much happier on it now !

From this (http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-insiders-will-get-the-windows-10-rtm-build-on-july-29th) it looks like the RTM bits will be available for us as part of the Windows Insider program. So I'm supposing we'll just update to the RTM build like we would the preview builds.

rege0039

From this (http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-insiders-will-get-the-windows-10-rtm-build-on-july-29th) it looks like the RTM bits will be available for us as part of the Windows Insider program. So I'm supposing we'll just update to the RTM build like we would the preview builds.

So nuke 8.1 and start clean from Windows 10 only ?

That would give me the whole of my disc for one o/s which would be nice. Got Build 10078 ISO ready to extract to a USB and then 'say goodbye to it all....'

mitchellvii

Still getting bizarre error message any time I try sending email through my website's server ever since installing Outlook 2013 on this build.

Task 'mitchell@[website].biz - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : ' The server responded: 421 4.2.1 H:IPB0 [xxx.xx.x.x] Connection refused due to IP restriction'

My service provider can't figure it out as they are able to send messages using their testing app.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just noticed that the pen isn't working on my 10130 installation, everything else seems to be fine. I can pair the pen but it only briefly connects each time I press the pens top button, but doesn't stay connected.
Anyone else having this problem?
Tks Frosty

So far as i'm aware this is how the pen has always functioned. It only activates the Bluetooth connection when the button is clicked so as to preserve battery life. The pen button not launching onenote is a different issue (because you can still use pen to take screenshots)

wynand32

So nuke 8.1 and start clean from Windows 10 only ?

That would give me the whole of my disc for one o/s which would be nice. Got Build 10078 ISO ready to extract to a USB and then 'say goodbye to it all....'

I'd look for more confirmation before taking that leap (I'm keeping my own Windows 8.1 install on my desktop, for instance), but it seems like it.

Johnny365

Is there a way to figure out if my old Windows 7 Laptop will be capable of running Windows 10 upgrade? It's a 2.2GHz Core2Duo with 4GB of Ram and 320GB hard drive.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a way to figure out if my old Windows 7 Laptop will be capable of running Windows 10 upgrade? It's a 2.2GHz Core2Duo with 4GB of Ram and 320GB hard drive.

The graphics card is most likely the item that will be the deciding factor (e.g whether there are drivers for it. I just installed 10 on an old laptop because I had no other OS available, and it is worthless as no drivers to support the old onboard graphics)

tarrant64

This probably speaks to it's actual usefulness, but whatever happened to the swipe from edge (right) to see notifications, etc.? Did that disappear last couple of builds?

Apologize if this was covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.