What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compusmurf

4212 driver seems fine. It's a windows update driver so I suspect we may get it soon anyway. To install manually, decompress the cab, use the have disk method. I don't see any pros or cons with this driver so far. Of course, haven't spent more than 2 hours with it. I did it over lunch. :)

wynand32

This probably speaks to it's actual usefulness, but whatever happened to the swipe from edge (right) to see notifications, etc.? Did that disappear last couple of builds?

Apologize if this was covered.

That still works, theoretically. It's likely you're experiencing the Explorer.exe crash, and if you look closer you'll notice that your system tray icons no longer respond.

Open Task Manager, find Windows Explorer in Processes, and hit the Restart button. That'll fix things right up.

tarrant64

That still works, theoretically. It's likely you're experiencing the Explorer.exe crash, and if you look closer you'll notice that your system tray icons no longer respond.

Open Task Manager, find Windows Explorer in Processes, and hit the Restart button. That'll fix things right up.

Perfect - That fixed it, thanks! I was really confused there for a bit because I could have sworn I was just using it. My task tray icons did still appear to work, just swipe was gone.

Restart of Explorer process brought it back good as new.

It appears I'm breaking it switching between tablet mode often, and resuming from sleep. This is typically when I notice most things break as it is and I'll continue working around it by simply just disabling tablet mode.

Arizona Willie

I hope we don't have to install W10 as an upgrade.

I always like to take a new hard drive and install the new OS and then re-install everything from my backups or from the original disks and get the programs data from backups.

That way I don't carry over any bugs from the previous installation.
Like right now in W8.1 I cannot play Microsoft Solitare or other games from the store because they seem to start and then minimize to the taskbar and will not come up.

W10 is fine on a separate disk.

I don't want to carry over the damaged files in 8.1 to 10 so I hope to hell we can get a full install version.

EMINENT

I hope we don't have to install W10 as an upgrade.

I always like to take a new hard drive and install the new OS and then re-install everything from my backups or from the original disks and get the programs data from backups.

That way I don't carry over any bugs from the previous installation.
Like right now in W8.1 I cannot play Microsoft Solitare or other games from the store because they seem to start and then minimize to the taskbar and will not come up.

W10 is fine on a separate disk.

I don't want to carry over the damaged files in 8.1 to 10 so I hope to hell we can get a full install version.

Can you not just get the ESD file and create a bootable iso like we've been doing already?

cmergel

4212 driver seems fine. It's a windows update driver so I suspect we may get it soon anyway. To install manually, decompress the cab, use the have disk method. I don't see any pros or cons with this driver so far. Of course, haven't spent more than 2 hours with it. I did it over lunch. :)

I updated to 4212 and I can confirm that DaisyChain is still broken and it also breaks my second monitor using USB 3.0 DisplayLink dock. I rolled backed since I was at work. I was so hopeful, yet getting used to the disappointment.

What is everybody else using to drive multiple monitors through the Surface Dock?

My setup.
Surface i7 (have tested this each build since 10074)
(2) Dell U2414H Monitors
From Surface Dock to Monitor 1: Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort
From Monitor 1 to Monitor 2: DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort
Monitor 1: DP 1.2 Enabled
Monitor 2: DP 1.2 Disabled.
Dell Display Manager: v1.24.0.1582

My problem.
With the above setup, if I power on the Surface both external monitors are dark, no video, nothing. If I power down Monitor 2 then Monitor 1 comes on line. Monitor 2 will not come on for nothing. I finally had to run Monitor 2 through a USB 3.0 DisplayLink Dock to get to work.

With the above setup DaisyChaining works flawlessly with my 8.1 Surface i5 in the Surface dock.

Last edited:

pbaird

I updated to 4212 and I can confirm that DaisyChain is still broken and it also breaks my second monitor using USB 3.0 DisplayLink dock.

I am using the Plugable USB 3.0 Dual Display dock, with DisplayLink. It works for me using the 4204, and now the 4212 drivers using 2 external monitors. I did however download the latest W10 DisplayLink drivers which are now DisplayLink_R7.9_Beta1. When I first installed 10130, my DisplayLink wasn't working until I installed them.

I can't comment on daisy chaining, since if I had monitors that could do that, I wouldn't have the plugable dock!

malberttoo

While it's going to be a pretty big change, I think it's going to be easier for Windows 7 users to transition to Windows 10, than it would be for those same people going to Windows 8/8.1. The Metro style things aren't drastically different than other apps now, since they don't go to new screens and stay on the desktop, unless the user clicks the button for tablet mode.

Agreed. This is how Win 8 should have happened. I don't see this being that big of an issue at all for most Win 7 users.

mitchellvii

You know, Windows 10 is cool, but other than slightly improved font-smoothing and secondary screen rendering, I can't think of anything it really does "better" than Windows 8 (assuming you use an add-on like Start8 from Stardock to make the Start Menu not suck).

I know there's other stuff like Cortana and Edge, but I'm assuming 8.1 users will be able to get Edge and I've never been excited about being able to talk to my computer. Having Windows 8 style tiles on my Start Menu still a pretty big meh to me although the typical user would probably enjoy the eye candy.

Last edited:

wynand32

I was hoping today's updates might fix the issue of Windows Explorer needing to be restarted to restore the notifications and system tray. Unfortunately, no such luck.

gbenrus25

You know, Windows 10 is cool, but other than slightly improved font-smoothing and secondary screen rendering, I can't think of anything it really does "better" than Windows 8 (assuming you use an add-on like Start8 from Stardock to make the Start Menu not suck).
Windowed apps is the big one that jumps to me

Status
Not open for further replies.