What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryeli

back to windows 10 build 10130 I can now used Microsoft wireless display adapter (new firmware today) when watching movies... is there an ad blocker for Microsoft edge??

Compusmurf

The implication is that Windows Preview machines will be upgraded in place to the GA build. Many of those will be clean installs of previous Preview builds. So, there's no guarantee that any Preview machine will ever have had a key, and Microsoft will have to account for them.

Lots of details missing.

Isn't the key for sp3 in the bios? Should not be an issue for us.

Everyone else will have a COA key on their pc or in a retail pkg they can type in. Unless pirated of course

cliffr39

The implication is that Windows Preview machines will be upgraded in place to the GA build. Many of those will be clean installs of previous Preview builds. So, there's no guarantee that any Preview machine will ever have had a key, and Microsoft will have to account for them.

Lots of details missing.

Isn't the key for sp3 in the bios? Should not be an issue for us...

That's what I was thinking. On the SP3 doing a clean install still gave us Pro because it most likely saw the COA burned into the BIOS. On my HP laptop it defaulted to the Home version during clean install (not sure if it saw the code in the HP BIOS or just defaults when unsure).

It could possibly prompt the user to type in an eligible upgrade key during a clean install, like back in the day.

tarrant64

Anyone else seeing constant 70-100% CPU after the recent windows updates? All morning so far, it won't come down.

Service Host: Local System (18 processes) - 30-50%

• Windows Update, Microsoft Sign-in Ass., WMI, Update Orchestrator Service, User Manager, Themes, Shell Hardware Detection, System Event notification service, task scheduler, user profile service, geolocation service, server ip helper, group policy client, computer browser, BITS, bitlocker, application information.
Local Security Authority Process (3) - 10-15%
  • credential manager, security accounts manager, cng key isolation

cliffr39

Anyone else seeing constant 70-100% CPU after the recent windows updates? All morning so far, it won't come down.

Service Host: Local System (18 processes) - 30-50%

• Windows Update, Microsoft Sign-in Ass., WMI, Update Orchestrator Service, User Manager, Themes, Shell Hardware Detection, System Event notification service, task scheduler, user profile service, geolocation service, server ip helper, group policy client, computer browser, BITS, bitlocker, application information.
Local Security Authority Process (3) - 10-15%
  • credential manager, security accounts manager, cng key isolation

I will have to keep an eye on this. I did the update last night and continued to use the SP3 with no fan noise. When I closed my typecover and put it on the night stand a few minutes later the fan went nuts. I picked it up to see what it was doing and it was hot. That was the first time since I got it.

cmergel

I finally got my DaisyChain Monitors working in Windows 10. I had to disable the DDC/CI setting on the second Monitor. No more External USB dock!

cliffr39

I know what an ISO file is but ESD is new to me --- haven't followed too many details on files lately.

If I recall correctly ESD stands for Electronic Software Distribution. It has the entire content needed to create an ISO. There are a few programs that can convert the ESD to ISO in basically one click.

When you do the Windows Update and it downloads the newer versions of Win10, it usually drops an ESD file into a hidden folder that you can pull out to do this.

tarrant64

OK - I started uninstalling one update at a time. After several reboots problem still persisted so it was time to rollback. Nothing to fan today lol.

I removed KB3039068 (address Wifi issues) and that resolved my problems after reboot. That was one of the two patches I received this morning. The other - KB3039065 (address mail app issues) - is still installed and no problems there.

FYI in case anyone sees problems.

Compusmurf

Pfft. No 10134 build for us. Gabe just posted that it has a big enough bug with upgrades that it's not worth sending out. Back to waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.