What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

I've been meaning to look at alternatives to Defender because its effectiveness is questionable (I've just been too busy to really research it), but my SP3 has been reasonably silent overall since 10074 once all the post-install indexing and such finishes. On 10130, my fan only comes on (and not terribly loudly) when I'm actually doing something that stresses the system.

MagicPoop

Off Topic: I keep getting notifications popping up on my Moto 360(Android Wear) saying MagicPoop liked your post or MagicPoop replied. My girlfriend noticed it last night and was like um what.

Sorry...?

On another note, have any of you tried disabling connected standby to choose some of the other power plans?

GTiceman

Do you know what triggers the notification? e.g do you have tapatalk installed anywhere? inused to get notifocations on my pjone non stop when i occasionally accessed the forum with tapatalk on my tablet.

Not sure, I do use tapatalk on my phone and it seems like almost every time there is a reply to a subscribed forum thread I get a notification

Sorry...?

On another note, have any of you tried disabling connected standby to choose some of the other power plans?

I just think it is funny.

No, I have not tried that

cliffr39

...On another note, have any of you tried disabling connected standby to choose some of the other power plans?

Actually, that's a good idea. I didn't really think about turning it off. I don't need the connected features, since all notifications hit my phone, too. I may have to go back a few pages and try that post to disable it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure, I do use tapatalk on my phone and it seems like almost every time there is a reply to a subscribed forum thread I get a notification

I just think it is funny.

No, I have not tried that

im sure there is a setting somewhere, but i just opted to uninstall tapatalk because its notifications. still get emails here now and then.

VickiFL

Ok, I only got 7 hours of battery life, down to 10%. I did not change my habits either. Before DLing Win10, I was getting about 10 hours. Yes, I know Win10 is an evaluation copy. I just hope they fix this issue in the final build.

lhauser

I did a reset of Win10 last night. It went well, fairly fast, and kept all my personal files as advertised. It wiped out my Office 2016 preview, whcih is fine, and Office 365 is working fine. Scrivener is working again as well. However, after the 10074->10130 upgrade it worked well for a few days.

I don't have any fan issues, but I may very well try Avast, just to see how it is. I've used Defender for years with no problem at all, but I'm a 4GB machine, so if it also saves memory, I'm all for it.

I have yet to do any sort of battery test. I rarely even try to use battery more than an hour or so a day, so I'll have to try it over the weekend. One difficulty I have is I really dislike working on the screen when it's below 75% brightness, and I know a lot of people like 50% or even less. I'm sure screen brightness will affect my results some.

lhauser

I did a Win10 reset last night. I am able to run Scrivener again, and even change folders for exporting files. Office 2016 preview disappeared and I'm back to Office 365. Everything worked well for a few days after upgrading from 10074 to 10130, though, so we'll see.

bender

Ok, I only got 7 hours of battery life, down to 10%. I did not change my habits either. Before DLing Win10, I was getting about 10 hours. Yes, I know Win10 is an evaluation copy. I just hope they fix this issue in the final build.

i3? With my i5, I'm finished after 3-5h, on W8 7-8h.

Skydexter

Anyone managed to properly install today's updates? (On 10130)
Updates are stuck on "Requires a restart to finish installing", restarted / shutdown my surface pro 3 several times, still not working.
Any workaround or fixes for that? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.