What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

Ooh, Edge just crashed on me. First time ever.

Anyways, as I was saying before being so rudely interrupted... My desktop and SP3 are running 10162 (those updates are getting fast, once the process starts as it should). My Dell Venue 8 Pro, though, hasn't seen an update since 10148. I'm not sure if it's a problem, or if Core machines like the Dell just aren't seeing the same updates.

Successfully applied 10162. It immediately applied the 5/14 Firmware update - again. Other than that, the only thing wrong is the People app still crashes immediately. I've disconnected my Facebook and Twitter accounts but it still crashes.

wynand32

Yep, People app still crashing for me as well. Same with the Phone Companion app, which has never run on any of my systems.

r0b123

Wow, just yesterday upgraded to 10159. I was expecting a few weeks of Definition Updates, and lo n behold, another NEW build 10162!! Seriously, we are on ludicrous speed for updates!! Hoping its more fit n finish!!

ScottyS

Not difficult now for them. No major changes, just minor stuff and bug fixes. Really wouldn't surprise me to get a few more before the 29th. Each one should be better than the last. :)
But I'm spending more time downloading and installing then actually getting to use these builds.

wynand32

Nope.

No hibernate option anywhere.

The path to the Hibernate setting on mine is Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options then where you're selecting a plan to change, on the left are other options. Select "Choose what closing the lid does" and you'll be taken to > System Settings. There, you can elevate and change to require a password on wakeup and whether or not to show Hibernate in the Power menu (this screenshot is from my desktop, but it's identical to the SP3):

2015-07-02_13-53-30.png

ScottyS

The path to the Hibernate setting on mine is Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options then where you're selecting a plan to change, on the left are other options. Select "Choose what closing the lid does" and you'll be taken to > System Settings. There, you can elevate and change to require a password on wakeup and whether or not to show Hibernate in the Power menu (this screenshot is from my desktop, but it's identical to the SP3):

View attachment 6363
I don't have that Hibernate/Show in Power Menu option. I have Don't Require a Password checked, and they are greyed out. Do I have to change to a local account and have Require a Password checked?
I remember in Win8 I edited a registry key to enable Hibernate.
I also don't have an Enable Fast Startup.

But, build 10162 just finished downloading and it's time for a restart and upgrade...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Used an official 10130 ISO to clean install, then an unofficial 10159 and no matter what key I entered it would not activate, it did not ask for one while I was installing. Reinstalling 10130 and guess I'm waiting for the update.

Turns out i was wrong. When i installed on the SP3 it didn't need a key (the white death torrent) but when it asked for a key on the S3 it was because the license on the S3 is not a pro license, so the pro version of 10159 therefore needs to see a pro license already on the machine to allow without a key.

While I say this, I'm questioning why, because there is only one version of windows 10 (not counting 32/64) available to download, and older versions, also pro, worked on the S3. But then again it's only very recently that it has started needing a key. The pro key posted a few pages back worked just great for me.

Only problem on the S3 is that I cannot access settings. Just opens store regardless of how I try and access.

HarnessTech

Well I decided to jump back in. I finished upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 build 10130 and now 3 hours later it won't find the update to 10162. But I'll keep trying.

wynand32

I don't have that Hibernate/Show in Power Menu option. I have Don't Require a Password checked, and they are greyed out. Do I have to change to a local account and have Require a Password checked?
I remember in Win8 I edited a registry key to enable Hibernate.
I also don't have an Enable Fast Startup.

But, build 10162 just finished downloading and it's time for a restart and upgrade...

Weird that you don't have the show hibernate in power menu option. The items are greyed out because you have to elevate to change them.

I checked the hibernate option, and now I can select it as a power option.

MassDude

Ended up getting the 10162 ISO since I have been stuck on 10130. I did the upgrade - no need to enter a new key. So far things are going well. What an improvement over 10130!!

Status
Not open for further replies.