Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, that makes sense. Will go back to 8 and wait. Thanks.

I don't think you need to go back. Your machine ID, Windows 8 Product ID, and your account were all validated under 8 already. That is the information needed to upgrade. Save yourself some trouble, if your system is still useable.

Ordnas

I don't think you need to go back. Your machine ID, Windows 8 Product ID, and your account were all validated under 8 already. That is the information needed to upgrade. Save yourself some trouble, if your system is still useable.

Will have a look tomorrow to see what damage I've done, then decide what to do I think.

Andy_Virtu

I had this happen yesterday on 10166 for the first time (ever!) yesterday. I downloaded and installed 10240 this morning but have had no chance to use it yet.

I have same problem.. but I found out it is caused by Security-Update KB3074663
After the Update the SP3 don't get the IP from the DHCP of the router correctly(/at all) so the SP3 has no valid IP configuration. Solution is to deinstall the Update or set a manual IP configuration.
Strangly my other Laptop works fine with WLAN and 10240 and the Update, so it seems something is not good with the SP3 and this update.
Both very bad. Can anyone submitt it to Microsoft or is someone from Microsoft reading it? ;)

hannytyo

hi... I remember rolling back my SP3 to Windows 8.1 from Build 10074, and then downloaded the 10130 and keep updating to 10240.
my questions are, if I decide to keep using Windows 10 going through the 29 July milestone,
(1) will the 390 MB and 4.98 GB Recovery Partitions still be useful? I assume those partitions are related to Windows 8.1 recovery partition by default for my SP3.
(2) how should I re-configure those partitions for Windows 10 recovery purposes instead?

Screenshot (4).png

thx.
-jhp-

hannytyo

and one more thing, on 10240, can anyone have this annoying issue? I cannot pin apps to Start (through right-clicking the app and the choose "Pin to Start"), although I can unpin them.

but things are working well by dragging the apps icon to the Start.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
and one more thing, on 10240, can anyone have this annoying issue? I cannot pin apps to Start (through right-clicking the app and the choose "Pin to Start"), although I can unpin them.

Works fine for me.

Can someone help me please. I couldn't sign in using my pin and I followed the instructions in this thread and deleted everything from the folder specified. Then the computer wouldn't let me set a pin so I rebooted and now I just get spinning dots.. What do I do?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can someone help me please. I couldn't sign in using my pin and I followed the instructions in this thread and deleted everything from the folder specified. Then the computer wouldn't let me set a pin so I rebooted and now I just get spinning dots.. What do I do?

power on the computer, then at login screen, click restart. then once it has restarted an youre back at login, see if you can log in. (are the spinning dots at the surface boot screen or after trying to log in?)
I encountered this a few builds back, but pin is working perfectly on 10140 for me

power on the computer, then at login screen, click restart. then once it has restarted an youre back at login, see if you can log in.

I encountered this a few builds back, but pin is working perfectly on 10140 for me
It won't let me get to the login screen. I've restarted several times. Starting to panic. Don't want to have to wipe it.

Mhaddy

Works for me as well.

Is anyone having issues with Wifi not connecting after sleep or hibernate? Almost 100% of the time when awoken, Wifi will be turned off and I'll have to click on it to turn on, and then it connects no problem. But this is really annoying.

Rotation lock also seems to be enabled at start-up as well.

It won't let me get to the login screen. I've restarted several times. Starting to panic. Don't want to have to wipe it.
I don't even get the login screen. It's just a pink background with spinning dots.

I try pressing ctrl Alt del and I get power options but nothing else..

Status
Not open for further replies.