What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

malberttoo

Thank you everyone for looking for me. I believe it is being purged, I did a clean install and its gone but the one laptop that I upgraded still has it.... Laptop runs like crap with the upgrade, others ran this way too and thats why I did a clean install.

No doubt there will still be some way to extract the files from a Win 7 or 8 machine and run it on 10. Someone smarter than me could probably figure it out.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
No doubt there will still be some way to extract the files from a Win 7 or 8 machine and run it on 10. Someone smarter than me could probably figure it out.

Not likely possible - since it is managed by rundll32.exe , not by its own executables - but I'm looking into this for you.

The command is:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt it is being purged. they'd have given us a real photo viewer to test a long while back if this was the case. The current "Photo" app is plain useless. Would be pretty silly to purge something that everyone uses and when there is no viable alternative available.

Kris

Not likely possible - since it is managed by rundll32.exe , not by its own executables - but I'm looking into this for you.

The command is:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1
Sorry to be dumb but what do I do with the code? I tried to put it in the run command and nothing happened.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Woo hoo! Intel graphics drivers now being delivered via Windows Update.
Installed perfectly.

Screenshot (93).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to be dumb but what do I do with the code? I tried to put it in the run command and nothing happened.

1) Run REGEDIT
2) Navigate to
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\OpenWithList
3. Modify one of the programs Windows has in your list there to be PhotoViewer.dll

This will add Photo Viewer to the Open With list of programs for .jpg files.
Repeat this process for other file types, by navigating to other ...\FileExts\... in your registry.

Not responsible for any problems this may cause you.

I'll show you mine:

Screenshot (92).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use maps very often as part of my work (geophysicist). The offline maps with Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3 are very good, with or without my USB GPS. I take the Surface out in the field with me along with Geiger Counters and other rock measurement devices. Surface is rugged - in the right case, of course. My two-wheeler can charge the Surface battery when necessary.

I had downloaded about 18 of the individual USA States maps before I noticed that the entire region (country) is downloadable, but I was worried that if I chose to download the entire USA, significant disk space would be wasted in the duplication of those 18 States.
Not so.

Immediately, the progress bar jumped to about 1/3, showing that the States were recognized as part of the whole. No wasted space.

Screenshot (95).png

Screenshot (96).png

IMG_5325.JPG

wild1.jpg

GTV.jpg

malberttoo

I use maps very often as part of my work (geophysicist). The offline maps with Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3 are very good, with or without my USB GPS. I take the Surface out in the field with me along with Geiger Counters and other rock measurement devices. Surface is rugged - in the right case, of course. My two-wheeler can charge the Surface battery when necessary.

I had downloaded about 18 of the individual USA States maps before I noticed that the entire region (country) is downloadable, but I was worried that if I chose to download the entire USA, significant disk space would be wasted in the duplication of those 18 States.
Not so.

Immediately, the progress bar jumped to about 1/3, showing that the States were recognized as part of the whole. No wasted space.

View attachment 6442

View attachment 6443

View attachment 6445

View attachment 6446

View attachment 6444

No love for Alaska in that screenshot, I see.... :eek:

cliffr39

I doubt it is being purged. they'd have given us a real photo viewer to test a long while back if this was the case. The current "Photo" app is plain useless. Would be pretty silly to purge something that everyone uses and when there is no viable alternative available.

To be honest, I never used Microsoft's builtin photo viewer. I always used 3rd party apps (such as irfan)

Status
Not open for further replies.