What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbenrus25

This thread is for those whom are interested in testing Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 3.
If you are not interested, post somewhere else.

While I agree it's for those interested in testing, I do think it's also important to be able to post issues with the OS like GoodBytes did (and I don't think that detracts from the point of the thread). He's still talking about and clearly using the Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3. Also, some of the things he pointed out are potentially useful feedback for MS and if he gets enough people seeing things that way, we could end up with a better OS for that reason. It's also good education for those not yet on Windows 10. Posting the good and bad are useful and that's what most people seem to do as opposed to just saying they don't plan to upgrade to Windows 10.

gbenrus25

Yea I am aware that you can do that. But that is soo annoying.

My complaints aren't subjective. They are facts.

That you say things are "annoying" is the very definition of subjective. What you find annoying I don't -- which is just as subjective. There's nothing wrong with having preferences and opinions, but to deny they are such is silly. For instance, the four set brightness levels from the actions panel? Perfect for me. I can't think of the last time I needed the brightness slider -- but if I do, I know where it is (and it is far more accessible than your example of getting to it in XP). This is subjective...the way I use Windows. It's the same with your complaints about GUI elements, or NVidia drivers. For you, they are an annoyance. For me, they aren't even a blip on the radar. Subjective, for both of us.

Microsoft has always shipped major products with features incomplete, as does almost every other software manufacturer in world history. They have to set a deadline, and not everything makes it into the final product before that deadline. If they took another six months to get this or that set of features complete, they would have to wait another six months to get another feature set complete. That's the whole point behind the new paradigm of "the last version of Windows" (whatever that will mean in reality). The OS will never be "complete," but will continually evolve, just without fixed version releases. In Linux, they call it "rolling releases," so it's not like it's something unheard of.

You're right, this is "not like Microsoft." Not like the Microsoft we've known, that is. Microsoft is changing the way they distribute Windows. Should we just ignore what you see as shortcomings and incomplete features? Well, maybe I should, but maybe you shouldn't. You're a part of the insider program... go complain (I'll assume you have already)! Hold their feet to fire, find others with the same annoyances, add your voice to theirs.

While I agree about the feature set and really hope Windows 10 succeeds, I still don't feel it's ready for the masses. There are still too many bugs that haven't been squashed yet (especially in tablet mode). Tablet users will definitely be frustrated by this OS in its current state and it seems like a recipe for bad reviews to release it to the masses before those bugs (e.g. the touch keyboard not coming up and the charm bar not replaced in every non MS MUI app) are squashed. Hopefully, the July 29 update actually does fix most of the bugs though.

cliffr39

I think that 1) there will not be mass conversion on launch day, which will allow for more feedback, bug patching, etc. Yes, many will upgrade, but when you think about the total number of Windows computers worldwide, it will be a smaller fraction for a while. 2) we are much more power users for computers than the average person (those not on the forums and use the PC for very basic things), so they may not notice the smaller things. I think that Microsoft has made very good progress in just a few months of insiders testing/reporting and can only get better (we hope).

lhauser

While I agree it's for those interested in testing, I do think it's also important to be able to post issues with the OS like GoodBytes did (and I don't think that detracts from the point of the thread). He's still talking about and clearly using the Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3. Also, some of the things he pointed out are potentially useful feedback for MS and if he gets enough people seeing things that way, we could end up with a better OS for that reason. It's also good education for those not yet on Windows 10. Posting the good and bad are useful and that's what most people seem to do as opposed to just saying they don't plan to upgrade to Windows 10.

I don't think Sharpcolorado's comment was aimed at GoodBytes, at least I hope not. I don't agree will all his points, but they are valid topics of conversation, I believe.

GoodBytes

Came upon this article on ZDNet this morning, about a Microsoft tool to block unwanted updates, with promised instructions for turning on system restore. Sorry if everyone but me knew about this before, but it's the first I'd heard about it:

Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/
Yes I was just about to post this! I am really happy that people were very vocal about this issue, and the recent screw ups by Intel, Nvidia and AMD, and Microsoft themselves, made them realize that some solution needs to be made. I like this idea of an external tool. Most people won't need it, but a tool, separate from Windows, is available for power user/IT for troubleshooting problems.

This is great for us Surface Pro users. Many prefer to use Intel web site drivers for the Intel control panel, or get drivers newer than what Microsoft has to fix a problem. Now we can hide the currently release system firmware/hardware update to not force install that back, and enjoy the system properly.

Jay Parisi

Anybody have a problem with Office 2016 Preview after the last windows update?

I had a update this am and ever since then cannot run any Office apps. I get "Something Went Wrong". cannot do a repair or uninstall in control panel either. Tried to re-install but it failed as well.

Tried to do a "Recovery" to a clean version of Win 10 but it failed.

Somehow, after the recovery failed I'm now able to re-install and it seems ok so far.

This is the first real issue I've had with 10, and just two days before the official release....

nnthemperor

I wonder if anyone has had devices failing in Windows 10. First the WiFi could not connect and after trying everything I could, a mere reboot solved the problem. Then the sound device failed. Again a reboot seemed to restore it. Also the 7/23 firmware update has constantly failed to install.

lhauser

I wonder if anyone has had devices failing in Windows 10. First the WiFi could not connect and after trying everything I could, a mere reboot solved the problem. Then the sound device failed. Again a reboot seemed to restore it. Also the 7/23 firmware update has constantly failed to install.

I did have my sound device fail a couple of days ago. I think it was actually Sunday morning...perhaps there was an update overnight? I just remember a reboot or two solved the problem. It seems to me I had an argument with wifi a week or two ago as well, but there were other wifi difficulties with other machines in the family, and I don't remember seeing that my device had failed (as I did with the sound device), so it may or may not have been an actual failure.

GoodBytes

I used to have a problem with the WiFi with my Surface Pro 2, exactly like yours which was happening every now and then, and videos stop animating when they are full screen after a while, and the device would never stay sleeping, but the latest firmware fixed those issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.