What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrog

Super long boot times.
I have applied all the recent firmwear upgrades but have hugely long start up times. I have tried enabling and disabling fast boot, removed start up OS choices and other tweaks (including booting without keyboard) but still have up to 5 minutes of just seeing the Surface and black screen. It will usually boot eventually but this is way long.

Waking from sleep or hibernate does not do this. anybody else have this issue.

Kris

Super long boot times.
I have applied all the recent firmwear upgrades but have hugely long start up times. I have tried enabling and disabling fast boot, removed start up OS choices and other tweaks (including booting without keyboard) but still have up to 5 minutes of just seeing the Surface and black screen. It will usually boot eventually but this is way long.

Waking from sleep or hibernate does not do this. anybody else have this issue.
I have an I3 SP3 and it boots in a matter of seconds, maybe a minute. I would try reinstalling the OS.

ScottyS

Anybody have a problem with Office 2016 Preview after the last windows update?

I had a update this am and ever since then cannot run any Office apps. I get "Something Went Wrong". cannot do a repair or uninstall in control panel either. Tried to re-install but it failed as well.

Tried to do a "Recovery" to a clean version of Win 10 but it failed.

Somehow, after the recovery failed I'm now able to re-install and it seems ok so far.

This is the first real issue I've had with 10, and just two days before the official release....
I had this same problem but couldn't re-install Office 2013 (Office 356) until I uninstalled the Office 2016 Preview apps, and when I click on Uninstall nothing happened and when ever I tried to uninstall again it said it had to finish uninstalling before it would let me do that. I didn't try a Recovery for Win10. I just gave up.

leeshor

I had this same problem but couldn't re-install Office 2013 (Office 356) until I uninstalled the Office 2016 Preview apps, and when I click on Uninstall nothing happened and when ever I tried to uninstall again it said it had to finish uninstalling before it would let me do that. I didn't try a Recovery for Win10. I just gave up.
We now have a new version of Office I was unaware of. ;);)

Interesting slip.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if anyone has had devices failing in Windows 10.
First the WiFi could not connect and after trying everything I could,
a mere reboot solved the problem.
Then the sound device failed.
Again a reboot seemed to restore it.
Also the 7/23 firmware update has constantly failed to install.
Try rebooting. :)

GmC

Is there a way to go back to win8.1 after installing win10? Buy this screenshots I think i would really like win10 if I had any other computer than sp3.

I almost always use sp3 in metro mode..

GoodBytes

It's happening!
If you notice that your free space on your drive on your Surface Pro 1, 2, 3 or Surface 3 just got smaller (running Windows 8), don't worry. Windows 10 reservation app, if you have reserved the coming up OS, has started to download Windows 10. It also include a large day 1 update, so the size of the download is bigger than anticipated.
If you see: C:\$windows.~BT, don't delete it! It is Windows 10 setup.

The distribution of Windows 10 upgrade are done in waves. You can get it today, or tomorrow, or up to, if you are unlucky, August.

Last edited:

GTiceman

It's happening!
If you notice that your free space on your drive on your Surface Pro 1, 2, 3 or Surface 3 just got smaller, don't worry. Windows 10 reservation app, if you have reserved the coming up OS, has started to download Windows 10. It also include a large day 1 update, so the size of the download is bigger than anticipated.
If you see: C:\$windows.~BT, don't delete it! It is Windows 10 setup.

The distribution of Windows 10 upgrade are done in waves. You can get it today, or tomorrow, or up to, if you are unlucky, August.

Thanks @GoodBytes but I think most of us in this thread already have it as this is a thread geared toward those of us who have been on the Insider Program so none of us have reservations.

Edit: Did have some updates though

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    788.8 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

GoodBytes

Oops forgot to mention "Running on Windows 8". Fixed that.
My post was more for personal knowledge, for those who reverted back to Windows 8.1, or have a second Surface, or someone asks here on this forum, as I am not a very active member.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how I missed this feature.

I had Edge running and wanted to mark up a web page. My Surface Pen was not handy. So I wrote with my finger instead.
Worked very well. Give it a try.

Works on any touch screen device with Windows 10.

Microsoft will have to modify their TV spot from: "You can write with a pen? You can say that again. I really like my Surface Pro 3."
They need to come up with words that rhyme with "finger".
Like maybe, "zinger".

Screenshot (132).png

JoshB

I came across one WiFi issue in build 10166. Issue was odd. If you typed in WiFi password and hit enter key to connect it would not connect, but if you clicked the OK button with the mouse it worked fine. I have yet to try it on build 10240 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.