Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I've tested this very carefully and am convinced:
iTunes 64 bit 11.0.4.18 runs more smoothly, and faster on the Windows 10 Preview than it did on my Windows 8.1 installation.

Screenshot (12).png

plnguyen

Seems like auto-rotate is not working.
I'm using this work-around: Control Panel --> Windows Mobility Center --> Rotate Screen.
I just pin Windows Mobility Center on my task bar for now for quick access.

Update: nvm. Microsoft just sent out an update. Auto-rotate is working now.

rege0039

I have it running in a VM and that has raised a number of questions for me, which I think are basic Windows 10 product issues but may be the VM. Any comments to the following observations would be greatly appreciated especially of the 'ye, that's what I get even on a all in full install'!

1) If a Modern UI app runs fills screen it seems to loose basic touch functionality, i.e. the news app can't be swiped left and right with a finger but only using the bottom cursor bar so even modern apps really need mouse or touchpad.

2) If you put back the start screen (not the desktop start menu) apps are started with a double click/press not just a single.

3) The only way to get full screen modern apps, even if start from the modern start screen is to select it from the three dot menu.

Swapping from desktop to modern start screen is clunky to say the least !

Do people think, or know, that these touch issues are because 'Continuum' (not the Canadian Scio-Fi series !) is not yet present ? How many of them, if any, will disappear in the continuum ?

Any comments will be gratefully received !

DeltaXray

If I were to install this onto the SP3 rather than in a VM, does Windows offer anything like a 'internet recovery' like OS X does? Where if necessary you can download the old version and it blats the machine including the recovery partition to the way it was out of the box?

I am just aware the SP3 did not come with a recovery disk (or even a DVD drive), and I don't think it even listed what my Windows 8 key is anywhere (I could be wrong).

Or does Windows 10 preview currently not change the existing recovery partition?

Last edited:

fonzman78

If I were to install this onto the SP3 rather than in a VM, does Windows offer anything like a 'internet recovery' like OS X does? Where if necessary you can download the old version and it blats the machine including the recovery partition to the way it was out of the box?

I am just aware the SP3 did not come with a recovery disk (or even a DVD drive), and I don't think it even listed what my Windows 8 key is anywhere (I could be wrong).

Or does Windows 10 preview currently not change the existing recovery partition?

Frank, @ctitanic , has a pinned thread at the beginning of this forum that has a link explaining how to download and create a recovery disk/image. Very useful. I used it to crate a recovery USB image in case I need it.

Kris

Has anyone had any issue after installing Windows 10 and then going back to Windows 8.1?

Enrico D.

Reasons to switch from 8.1 to 10? which are the real advantages?
I use the iobit startbutton and I eliminating the frustrating start button, for the rest windows 8.1 it's ok and I would change to 10 only when I will upgrade the Sp3 to Sp4 or what will come a day.

Give us some reason to change to 10, something we can't miss :)

DeltaXray

Frank, @ctitanic , has a pinned thread at the beginning of this forum that has a link explaining how to download and create a recovery disk/image. Very useful. I used it to crate a recovery USB image in case I need it.

Thanks, exactly what I was after. I should search more before posting.

I will probably play with it in a VM for a while longer and then do a full install when they push out a build with Continuum.

DeltaXray

Reasons to switch from 8.1 to 10? which are the real advantages?
I use the iobit startbutton and I eliminating the frustrating start button, for the rest windows 8.1 it's ok and I would change to 10 only when I will upgrade the Sp3 to Sp4 or what will come a day.

Give us some reason to change to 10, something we can't miss :)

If you're not keen enough already by trying out the latest-and-greatest then don't install it as these early versions are not aimed at you. There is no reason for upgrading from 8.1 other than that.

If you are not 'excited' by the preview release and not happy to live with the headaches and hassles that go along with pre release software then don't go near it.

It is not even at Consumer Preview level yet.

plop28

Has anyone had any issue after installing Windows 10 and then going back to Windows 8.1?

Yes i am, Actually this preview is more for a desktop experience. We have to wait for a new preview.. Ill go back to W10 when continuum will be here

Enrico D.

ok, when will be ready so W10? in how many months?

for what I have seen in the preview the most interesting things are that the store is like in a separate standard window now and the possibility to create more desktops, so you can manage better the job and spaces and may be to reduce much more the cpu load

I had issues going back to 8.1. I'm pretty sure I just didn't understand the limitations.

I made a USB recovery disk before I upgraded to 10 but when I tried to reset my machine from the recovery USB it kept saying media invalid. I called up tech support and was advised to try to download the recovery image from MS because that is a much more complete version but it was 6gb and for some reason no matter what internet connection I used it was SLOW. I get 120mbps down at home and this thing was downloading at a snail's pace.

I ended up going to a MS Store and having them install from an 8.1 Pro DVD. Just for the heck of it, before setting up my machine (immediately after the install) I then tried to use the recovery USB and it worked this time. I'm assuming because it was resetting 8.1 to 8.1 not 10 to 81.

It was a pain. I spoke to someone from tech support and he gave me an alternate solutions which might work if I ever tried to upgrade again. He said I should use the cmd prompt feature of the recovery drive and use the disk part function and clean the partitions and then try to use the reset function. Not sure if this makes sense to any of you experts out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.