Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a way to pin an IE favourite to the start button menu like you can from Modern IE in 8.1 ?

Yes - when you choose "Pin to Start", the app is pinned to the Start Menu. It can be moved, resized, etc. just as in Windows 8.1 .

rege0039

Yes - when you choose "Pin to Start", the app is pinned to the Start Menu. It can be moved, resized, etc. just as in Windows 8.1 .

Erm, I must be being thick but I can't see how to get the 'Pin to start option', tried right clicking on favourites list and from address bar and I don't get that option. I'm using desktop IE as I haven't done the hack to get Modern IE back.

Thanks for the help, this thread has been very useful.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
1. Click the Start button (bottom-left of desktop).
2. Click "All Apps" (bottom of the list)
3. Scroll down to the app you want, and right-click / Pin to Start

rege0039

So, if you check Accounts in Windows Store, do you see both the Win 8.1 and the Win 10 hostnames listed? Or just one of them?

I have both listed in Windows 10 but not with their correct hostnames but instead a seemingly random selection of characters.

rege0039

1. Click the Start button (bottom-left of desktop).
2. Click "All Apps" (bottom of the list)
3. Scroll down to the app you want, and right-click / Pin to Start

I've been doing that for apps and programmes but how to do it for a web site in IE ? i.e. (sorry for the poor pun !) I want a tile for this forum in the start button menu, like I would have been able to do from Modern IE.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
rege0039

Two methods to add URL to Start Menu

1. Create desktop shortcut to desired URL
2. Drag the shortcut to the Start button (lower left), and keep holding...
3. Release the drag on the Start Menu to the right

---- or ----

1. Browse to the desired URL
2. Drag the site icon (just left of the URL within the IE address bar) to the Start button (lower left), and keep holding...
3. Release the drag on the Start Menu to the right

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hey on your desktop background is that included in the preview or one of your images?

Just a map I had hanging around from somewhere. Preview includes no new wallpaper images at this point.

classic-world-map-wallpaper.jpg

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Start Menu may be resized
These images show how the Start Menu can be adjusted in size or aspect by dragging its top border up or down. Icons are automatically arranged accordingly. In portrait mode, the Start Menu continues very close to the top of the screen. In landscape mode, the menu stops short of the topmost desktop icon. Menu icons smartly arrange into a minimum width of one "large" size column (two "medium", or four "small"), rather than re-sort into a skinny column, even if no "large" icons are placed into the menu.

Screenshot (51).png

Screenshot (52).png

Screenshot (53).png

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.