What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiceman

Which dock do you have?

Lenovo Thinkpad USB 3.0, I also have issues where some metro apps stop working when connected/disconnected

But when you turn off the start menu to make it like an 8.1 system, you lose the new features of the start button. It really does seem to revert back to running as an 8.1 Surface.

That is true. I really don't care about the Start Menu. So you are looking for a Start Menu on the Desktop and the Start Screen when you tap the Windows button on the SP3?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
VPN using Enterprise Windows 10 Technical Preview

Spoke to someone at my company today who has been trying out the Enterprise edition of Windows 10 Technical Preview. VPN works a little better (newest Cisco AnyConnect Secure Client works), but it must be re-installed every time before use.

Cisco VPN Client 5.00.07.0440 seems to work just fine.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Anticipating a new build. I'm sure it will have more features to further distinguish it from Windows 8.1.

Screenshot (64).png

mitchellvii

I've noticed the new W10 Firefox Beta while fast and good looking will almost immediately spin the hell at of your fan. When is Mozilla every going learn to optimize?

Sepp

Something else to consider or explore: Dual Boot W10 from a VHD file
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-to-use-a-vhd-to-dual-boot-windows-8-on-a-windows-7-pc_p3/4847

The Z W10 Guide ... http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-windows-10-installing-the-windows-technical-preview-7000034267/

This should work for W10 and W8.1 just as it did with W8 & W7

I may give this one a try myself... and there should be a way to specify driver locations during setup...

Hmmm, with a VHD I should be able to either boot directly to it OR run it as a VM... the best of both worlds.
Hi,

I tried, but the SHIFT+F10 to CMD prompt is not working( for DISKPART), do you know a workaround
Many thanks

Sepp

Morgan

The BEST part of W10 so far is the virtual desktops and the way you can switch between apps and/or desktops by swiping from the left. Also switching between desktops with the Ctrl WIN Arrow combination. Completely brilliant. It turns your SP3 into a multimonitor setup without the hardware. Crazy useful.

Also love how Windows apps (such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.) are now windowed and sizable.

Everything is very fast and smooth. Honestly excited about this. The combination of the W7 Start Menu and the W8 Start Menu into one super menu is awesome. And guess what, it ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE. The average non-technical user will "get this". Gone are the multiple hidden steps to do anything. One can literally learn to fly around on this OS will very little learning curve.

I think MS has a true winner on their hands here. Hard to believe this is only a preview build. Usually with a new MS release I have multiple, "What were you thinking?!!" moments. With Windows 10 so far I've had nothing but, "Damn MS, you nailed that!" moments.

SUGGESTIONS:
1) Allow me to make Start Menu semi-transparent.
2) Can't seem to figure a way to make Netflix fill whole screen. It will maximize but not cover the taskbar. Any help here?
3) On my desktop, games are crashy. Game doesn't just crash randomly, who computer shuts down. Early build so quite understandable.
4) Add a "stay-on-top" feature for windows that I wish to always remain on top.

To make the Netflix (or any other) app full screen, click "Full Screen" on the App Commands "..." menu.

Seneleron

To make the Netflix (or any other) app full screen, click "Full Screen" on the App Commands "..." menu.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that has an issue with this only performing "full windowed" mode? No matter what I do, I still get stuck with the taskbar ala old OS X...

Status
Not open for further replies.