Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that has an issue with this only performing "full windowed" mode? No matter what I do, I still get stuck with the taskbar ala old OS X...

Choose to "Auto hide the taskbar" by right-clicking on the taskbar, Properties.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
HOTKEYS always active

Here's a reminder about a little-known feature present in Windows 7, Windows 8, and now Windows 10, which might have new interest to those running Windows 10:

Typing keys [Windows Key + number] launches programs referred by shortcuts on the Taskbar:

Windows Key + 1 launches first shortcut program
Windows Key + 2 launches second shortcut program
Windows Key + 3 launches third shortcut program
and so on...

In the screenshot below:
Windows Key + 1 launches File Explorer
Windows Key + 2 launches Outlook
Windows Key + 3 launches Internet Explorer

Screenshot (66).png

Last edited:

ximoosea

Windows 10 appears to have another new feature that I have never noticed on previous versions. If, for example, you have two windows open and one window is active, you can move the mouse over the second window and the wheel of the mouse will allow you to scroll the second window without actually clicking it and making it active. If I remember right, Unix has had this for a long time and there used to be a program that would do something similar in Windows, however, it was a bit different in that it would activate any window your mouse scrolled over....the Windows 10 mode is that it does not activate but allows scolling....quite handy in some applications.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you have somehow activated a setting that is indeed part of legacy Unix, Sun, Linux operating systems, called "automatic mouse focus" or the like.

This option has been available since Windows 7, found in
- Control Panel
- Ease of Access
- Change how your mouse works

mouse_focus.png

Kif

Does the Windows 10 preview do anything to improve the users desktop experience on a high DPI screen like the SP3?

Sorry, if this question has been posted before but my alter ego has been busy posting on an Apple website about the new iPad's.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean - resolution on the SP3 itself, or peripheral monitors? Or do you mean the user interface (launching, closing, sizing, placing apps, programs, and windows)?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does the Windows 10 preview do anything to improve the users desktop experience on a high DPI screen like the SP3?

Sorry, if this question has been posted before but my alter ego has been busy posting on an Apple website about the new iPad's.
There has been tweaks to the algorithm for DPI Scaling so that the extended monitor doesn't render the large taskbar and icon set.

Kif

What do you mean - resolution on the SP3 itself, or peripheral monitors? Or do you mean the user interface (launching, closing, sizing, placing apps, programs, and windows)?

I mean on the SP3 screen itself. MUI apps look great but most things running on the desktop are either blurry or impossible small to read.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
No changes in the Windows 10 Technical Preview 9841.
However, how do the fonts and such look to you on the pictures shown on this thread? They are screenshots, so you can judge for yourself.

You may need some assistance with font and scaling on your Surface Pro 3. If so, you might want to post that question here.

Seneleron

Choose to "Auto hide the taskbar" by right-clicking on the taskbar, Properties

Well, judging by the answer, it sounds like it's not just me that "full screen" is broken for.

I know it's possible to mimic it by minimizing the taskbar, that's a real pain to have to hide/unhide with every use.

No, leaving it auto-hid really isn't an option. Call it OCD, but it drives me NUTS if it's not there with the desktop.

mitchellvii

Noticed that the latest W10 video drivers make my external monitor turn pink. Dumped them and loaded the Intel Drivers and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.