What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you guys go about installing the latest build? Are you able to do an upgrade and retain your current installs and settings, or did you start "clean"?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that we can update through the Windows Update Settings -> Preview Builds...

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
sharpcolorado are you using Windows 10 as your main OS on your SP3

Yes - the Technical Preview is the only OS I am using. Has not interfered with my work at all - except for Cisco VPN on the first day, solved immediately by using an immediately previous VPN Client version.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... can no longer get the latest version of the intel video driver installed on the machine under windows 10...

Is this causing problems? I wonder if all or part of the Intel drivers are now part of the Microsoft default set within the build.

I certainly have noticed a dramatic improvement in video response, as noted by performance of Google Earth and screen rotation during video playback.

... I for the first time get the limited connection issue on WIFI. I did not experience this on windows 8.1 nor on the first build of windows 10 ...

Try browsing and connecting around. I believe the "limited" may be an improper message from Windows. The connection seems fine with no restrictions, even though when docked, the "limited" descriptor is added to my connection.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@sharpcolorado you make me want to install it on my SP3 a LOT ! Is the OneDrive synchronisation working well ?

Well, don't make the switch just on emotion. If you rely on your machine for school, work, or play, you are taking a risk. It is good looking and works well, though, and had no downside for me, as my primary work machine.

I did not expect the Technical Preview to be as stable as it is. If you start using the Technical Preview, post about your experience for all to share, so that we all get smarter.

OneDrive works perfectly. And as a test, after using a previous build of Windows 10 Technical Preview, I deliberately wiped my SP3, and restored all back, relying upon Windows and OneDrive to do the needful. Worked great.

RémiM

Well, don't make the switch just on emotion. It is good looking and works well, though. I did not expect the Technical Preview to be as stable as it is.

But OneDrive works perfectly. And as a test, after using a previous build of Windows 10 Technical Preview, I deliberately wiped my SP3, and restored all back, relying upon Windows and OneDrive to do the needful. Worked great.

You are right, I feel a bit emotional thinking about win 10 :)

Thanks for your comments, I will try to do my best against myself to wait a little bit more.

hardhit

Is this causing problems? I wonder if all or part of the Intel drivers are now part of the Microsoft default set within the build.

I certainly have noticed a dramatic improvement in video response, as noted by performance of Google Earth and screen rotation during video playback.

I install the intel version of the graphics driver to get the control panel available so that I can tweak the black levels that will show. In the Microsoft version of the driver this panel is not present and thus the tweaks are not possible. It's not a major issue now but it was possible in the previous build version to install the Intel drivers.

Try browsing and connecting around. I believe the "limited" may be an improper message from Windows. The connection seems fine with no restrictions, even though when docked, the "limited" descriptor is added to my connection.

When I get the limited setting on the WIFI I can no longer browse any website nor can I sync my onenote notebooks to onedrive.

I have now removed the driver for the Marvel card and installed the latest version again let's see if this solves something.

I checked and my intel graphics driver was still at 10.18.10.3496 [3/7/2014]. I updated the driver, by browsing my computer and picking from a list of available drivers it showed that 10.18.10.3907 [8/5/2014] was available. I've upgraded to that.

@sharpcolorado what graphics driver version are you running?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@sharpcolorado what graphics driver version are you running?

My driver: Intel 10.18.10.3496 3/7/2014
Tells me no updates are available. I browsed for one anyway, refreshed the newest one found, and this is still the result. Great performance, so I'll stick with this one that the Technical Build provided.

Screenshot (85).png

Screenshot (83).png

Screenshot (84).png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
New animations are neat, notification center is cool but will take some getting used to

ScreenBeam Pro Miracast is broke, SP3 Pen Top Click still doesn't work...

Datasense and Battery Saver will take some investigation....
PTV3000 gets the same Driver Error, these are my only Miracast Adapters so I can't test another one, but it does appears Wireless Display is broken on the SP3 with Build 9860.

I've submitted feedback if you want to validate....

Status
Not open for further replies.