What's new

Windows 10 problems on suface pro 3

Ryuuji

So I updated my surface to windows 10 now. But I think I will go back to windows 8.1.

The edge browser doesn't have touch gestures, or I'm to stupid, but I can't swipe for or back. The touch keyboard doesn't always show up. Only in tablet mode. But when I wanna work on the desktop I have to switch back, then the keyboard doesn't paper like it did in win 8. Also the addblocker doesn't work anymore.

Also when I have my pen, the keyboard always goes to the blackboard kind of Style, but I wanna have keys.

The mail app is bad, it doesn't even use all the space there is. Also I can't ungroup mails. When I get multiple mails from the same sender they're always in the tree / grouped style. But I wanna have each mail individually so I can see the title of the mails on a glance. Also I can't see all of my accounts. When they have new mails I have to select each. In windows 8.1 I saw all of my accounts on the left corner.

On my desktop windows 10 is not bad at all, but it's terrible on my surface.

But the worst thing is I can't almost settt anything. The settings are all over the place, just changing the search engine in edge is stupidly done. I can't set the engine in the options, no I have to visit the engines homepage then go into the settings.

Also I can't change my background design. I can select the one I had under 8 but I can't choose the pictures for the diashow nor the changing time.

I wanna have my windows 8.1 modern ui browser and mail app back.

bmack

Edge does not support the swipe forward or back page feature yet. Not sure what problem your having with the onscreen keyboard. I should popup everytime is senses there is a text block in tablet mode. You might have you continue to use internet explorer if you want to use an adblocker.

Your complaints about the mail app is something that you can submit to the feedback section and maybe Microsoft will add those features you are asking for.

I find that 95% of all settings that the average users will need is in the new settings panel. But if not just type " control panel" into the search and go to the old control panel.

To change your background image go to settings-personalization-background-browse or choose from one of the images that comes with windows 10.

Sounds like you are in shock from all the changes. Trust me I felt the same way at first. Then after about a month I realized just how much more sense and ease of use Windows 10 is vs Windows 8.1. I dreaded having to use my desktop that was running windows 8.1

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I updated my surface to windows 10 now. But I think I will go back to windows 8.1.

The edge browser doesn't have touch gestures, or I'm to stupid, but I can't swipe for or back. The touch keyboard doesn't always show up. Only in tablet mode. But when I wanna work on the desktop I have to switch back, then the keyboard doesn't paper like it did in win 8. Also the addblocker doesn't work anymore.

This is intentional. desktop mode is just that, desktop, i.e keyboard and mouse so there is no argument for having the keyboard auto appear. Why do you have to switch back? all tablet mode really does is make everything full screen and auto-call the keyboard. It doesn't change the capability of the surface

Also when I have my pen, the keyboard always goes to the blackboard kind of Style, but I wanna have keys.

Then take one finger off the pen and touch the text input box. If you touch it with the pen it thinks you want to input using the pen, in the way you'd use a pen, writing. If you touch it with a finger it thinks that you want to use your finger, so a touch keyboard.

The mail app is bad, it doesn't even use all the space there is. Also I can't ungroup mails. When I get multiple mails from the same sender they're always in the tree / grouped style. But I wanna have each mail individually so I can see the title of the mails on a glance. Also I can't see all of my accounts. When they have new mails I have to select each. In windows 8.1 I saw all of my accounts on the left corner.

It's not perfect. It's just a basic mail app. As to accounts, mine are there, little different to windows 8 other than that there is not a number next to the account indicating how any new emails.

On my desktop windows 10 is not bad at all, but it's terrible on my surface.

Seems to me that it's just fine on your surface but that you don't like it on your surface. Big difference. I absolutely love it on both my surfaces and have done for about 9 months now.

But the worst thing is I can't almost settt anything. The settings are all over the place, just changing the search engine in edge is stupidly done. I can't set the engine in the options, no I have to visit the engines homepage then go into the settings.

To change my search engine on edge, I go into settings, advanced, and chose a new search engine. almost no different to how it would be done in any browser. I don't understand what you are experiencing here.

Also I can't change my background design. I can select the one I had under 8 but I can't choose the pictures for the diashow nor the changing time.

I can change everything from picture, to slideshow pictures, to interval to fit.

I wanna have my windows 8.1 modern ui browser and mail app back.

Then maybe just go back to 8.1. this is windows 10, it is a new operating system, it seems strange to think they would pull features from other OS's without any changes etc.

You have to remember that while it has now been launched, this is not a "you've got what you have" kind of launch. Windows 10 will be constantly evolving instead of being stuck as it is until windows 11.

OP
R

Ryuuji

I meant, When I leave Tablet mode, the onscreen keyboard doesn't appear automatic. But I often use the Surface without the keyboard and work on the desktop with my pen, So I need the Tablet mode options, but I don't want to work in fullcreen programs in the desktop since I need multiple programs and information relays.

OK With the pen that's something new, in 8.1 the onscreen keyboard appears hallways, doesn't matter if finger oder pen input. I almost always use the pen as a mouse device on the desktop, not as a pen.

With the designs I mean my old windows 8.1 designs. Not the diashow feature in the modern ui ui. You could download designs in 8.1 and 7 and vista, then select which pictures of the designs you want, what time they should change etch. that\s not in the new control panel but in the old one from 7 and 8.

Yes with edge you're right, but I couldn't add a search engine at first. I had to go to the google main page, then go into the edge settings and then I could add it.

I know the mail app is not perfect, and I also have outlook with office 365. But I'm missing settings and options which where in the windows 8.1 app. I tought the modern. ui apps where the same between 8.1 and 10. like you can't even see all of your accounts at once. Only one is displayed at a time. I always have to click on accounts at the top right side.

I will have to test it on my surface. On my desktops I will most likely staz there. I think windows 10 is less touch optimized than Windows 8.1. I mean that edge doesn|t sopurt touch swipe gestures while the older windows 8.1 Version did. It|s the same as with the mail app. They're a lot less options than in windows 8.1

Edit. Does the onboard/touch keyboard only automatically appear in tablet mode? Since I work almost completely without the attachable keyboard, but I like to have multiple programs/windows open on the desktop.

Last edited:

madmarcus

Since I work almost completely without the attachable keyboard, but I like to have multiple programs/windows open on the desktop.

I an similarly frustrated. For various reasons I want to use desktop programs with the pen as a mouse substitute. In Win 8.1 I could dock the OSK (not the touch keyboard) at the bottom of the screen. It was truly docked not just floating; even full screen programs shrunk to fit above it automatically (and went back to full screen when it was closed) so that it never obscured my text or covered the scroll bars. In Win 10 both the huge touch keypad and the OSK are floating and obscure part of the program unless I manually adjust the size.

This wouldn't be too bad except that the handwriting TIP is also crippled. I can't find a way to edit the text (prior to insertion) if windows doesn't "read" my handwriting correctly.

OP
R

Ryuuji

I an similarly frustrated. For various reasons I want to use desktop programs with the pen as a mouse substitute. In Win 8.1 I could dock the OSK (not the touch keyboard) at the bottom of the screen. It was truly docked not just floating; even full screen programs shrunk to fit above it automatically (and went back to full screen when it was closed) so that it never obscured my text or covered the scroll bars. In Win 10 both the huge touch keypad and the OSK are floating and obscure part of the program unless I manually adjust the size.

This wouldn't be too bad except that the handwriting TIP is also crippled. I can't find a way to edit the text (prior to insertion) if windows doesn't "read" my handwriting correctly.

I also think so. I also have Windows 10 running on my Big Desktop PC at the moment it's just an upgrade from 7 to 10 so it's not a brand new install. But it's a lot faster.

All of my "problems" with Windows 10 are on the touch side of things, the tablet mode, the browser edge under touch control etc.
I think Windows 10 is good for desktops or Laptops which don't use a touchscreen. For a touch device I personally think Windows 8.1 is at the moment better.

Kris

Wish I could get the stupid pen to open a desktop version of OneNote, one of my most used apps. Refuse to use that piece of junk version they gave us with Windows 10. What was wrong with the Windows 8.1 OneNote?

malberttoo

Wish I could get the stupid pen to open a desktop version of OneNote, one of my most used apps. Refuse to use that piece of junk version they gave us with Windows 10. What was wrong with the Windows 8.1 OneNote?

This was hinted somewhere to be addressed in an upcoming update I believe.

Pedrom

I totally agree. I'm very tempted to go back to 8.1 on my SP3.

No swiping in Edge for forward and back pages is annoying. Sometimes it doesn't want to open or close tabs in touch mode, I have to use the pen. It won't let you reorder your tabs either!
On screen keyboard (mainly in Edge) pops up sometimes, even when I've not clicked a text field.
I had my first ever BSoD with my SP3 - it was after trying to wake.
It broke Outlook 2013. Couldn't send any messages, only receive. (now fixed after a lot of pain, no thanks to MS Support).
One Note keeps doubling up my saved pages.
Window scaling in touch mode is inconsistent at best - especially when the on screen keyboard comes into play.
Performance seems to be a little slower, but not much testing on that front yet. Boot times are quicker though.
Swiping from the left bezel used to bring up your previous app right away, now you see and preview of all apps, and then click on the one you want. The old way was better. You could still have the slower option of viewing all open apps back then if you wanted. Now I'm forced into the slow way.
The action centre takes up too much space and doesn't even do much. An option to expand the old size to the new size would have been better. Perhaps a double swipe?
And half the time the notification icon at the bottom right screen is lit up, there isn't even a notification to see!

I will keep posting things as I find them; assuming I don't go back to 8.1 any time soon.
I can see this being perfect for desktop only, but as hybrid/tablet, it's a step back! I really feel like this was rushed out. I was hoping to be amazed by Win 10, but I'm bitterly disappointed.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
During the TP touch was always lagging behind the desktop development. It'll get there eventually. This OS is not supposed to be complete out of the box. They've released it in a state they are happy with, and then will update and add to it as time goes on.

@Pedrom You can rearrange tabs, you just drag it just as you would expect you would.

I agree on the action centre though. Way too big and doesn't do much. I couldn't really care about notifications, I only use it for the settings buttons. However for me the argument goes both ways, in that because I find no use for it, the size doesn't really bother me because it's never open. The action centre is not designed to be something open on the side though, so does it matter how much space it takes up? You're supposed to open it, attend to whatever actions windows would like you to attend to (clear all :p) and then close it again.