What's new

Windows 10 recovery image for Surface Pro 3

rothariger

i don't know if viktor tried to restore the surface with that zip, but it doens't work for me :(
it just hangs while restoring, i have tried it for 3 times (in one of the times i disabled the bitlocker, that didn't do it either), and all of it with the same result.
any thoughts?

regards.

uktivo

Hi all. I think I need to do a re-install also as I've seemed to have lost my ethernet connection completely. This seemed to happen after the last update from MS. The ethernet connection (on dock) just disconnected. When I went into the network adaptors settings. I could see it was disabled and I could choose to enable it but nothing happened. Anyway. Now. It's gone completely. I can't even see it any more. So. I think a fresh start would be good. I too can't find a usb image to reinstall windows. If anyone could help please? Thanks.

uktivo

Also to add a little more info to this issue. I also experienced a weird issue just before losing the ethernet all together. If I tried to move a large amount of data from say the SP3 to a network drive. The transfer would start then very quickly, within a few seconds drop the file transfer and basically reset the ethernet connection . The only way out of this would be to do a hard reboot. It seemed fine on wifi. So I assume this was also a driver issue with the ethernet on the dock. Just wanted to add that on case this is a hardware fault and no amount of reloading would fix the problem.

lonaysta

A user on Reddit shared this file (and I also downloaded myself from Microsoft alternatively, so I could verify that his file is legit). Since the forum administrator bans sharing a link, I'm not including the link to the post, so you can search for "Windows 10 Recovery Image for Surface Pro 3" on surface subreddit. However I didn't have any luck using this image to get a pure SP3.
My SP3 is clean installed 10240 then upgraded to 10586.11 via Windows Update. However, after trying to use the recovery flash drive, the windows version was still 10586, not 10240. No pen paring step during the initial setup, nor the Surface logo in Computer Properties page. Somehow the recovery wizard did not read from the flash drive, but used the files stored in the device's SSD to perform the reset....
Any ideas?

Update: seems that my ADATA UE700 16G is not a good candidate as USB recovery drive even though formatted as FAT32. Switched to another empty flash drive and woo-hoo!

Last edited:

leeshor

A user on Reddit shared this file (and I also downloaded myself from Microsoft alternatively, so I could verify that his file is legit). Since the forum administrator bans sharing a link, I'm not including the link to the post, so you can search for "Windows 10 Recovery Image for Surface Pro 3" on surface subreddit. However I didn't have any luck using this image to get a pure SP3.
My SP3 is clean installed 10240 then upgraded to 10586.11 via Windows Update. However, after trying to use the recovery flash drive, the windows version was still 10586, not 10240. No pen paring step during the initial setup, nor the Surface logo in Computer Properties page. Somehow the recovery wizard did not read from the flash drive, but used the files stored in the device's SSD to perform the reset....
Any ideas?
It's OK to link to a page at Microsoft, not to a direct download, or Reddit. Just an fyi.