What's new

Windows 10 settings don't stay.

bnathan

I was hoping this would be fixed by now but it seems Microsoft doesn't even know its happening. If I go into settings, personalisation, then start and change the bottom option for "Show recently opened items in jump lists....." to off that setting works for a couple of hours and then for no reason jump lists come back. Normally I wouldn't care but I use my surface at home and work on networks and the jump lists populate with network locations which don't exist and I use quick access links instead. Once they come back I have to go into settings and toggle the setting on and off again and it stays for another couple of hours and then starts showing jump lists again. Anyone have any ideas???

The same sort of thing happens in the Photos app. I change the locations I want it to display and the settings stay then after a couple of hours it reverts back to the defaults which I don't need it showing my camera roll and it ALWAYS reverts back to showing that folder.

This isn't something that can be fixed with a recovery as it happened on my SP3 and now my SP4 with many different versions of Windows 10.

pcreyn319

I have this same issue on my SP4 and Lenovo laptop with the background slideshow. I constantly have to go to the run command and type in control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper and select all pictures. It keeps resetting to a different folder with only a few pictures in it. I miss the old control panel options.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@bnathan

Seems like your synchronization is off.

I suggest you do this:
- Shut down all your Microsoft registered devices (Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10)
- Visit your Microsoft account page online from any other device, such as from a kiosk or Internet café. Remove all devices from the list.
- Login to your PC devices using your Microsoft account. Make sure sync settings are enabled.

This will re-build the list. Full cycle (all machines synced up) could take up to 3 hours.