What's new

Windows 10 Sleep Issues

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you're right .. it's just an insomniac so it's always awake.

Start up from scratch time is not a problem though it's much faster than my phone so I'm happy there, I just wish it would properly sleep.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bloomin' thing woke me up this morning I had it on charge on my bedside table and woke up to the sound of the fan running!! I changed the settings to turn off wifi when plugged in and asleep as well. I think it was trying to download an update. This is making me start to think about rolling back, which is a shame as I like win 10.

Wayne Orwig

count me in as well with my SP2. :(

But, using "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" may have found a solution. it listed the following as candidates:
HID-compliant mouse
HID-compliant mouse (001)
Surface Type Cover Filter Device
HID Keyboard Device (001)

Going into the Device Manager, Power Management tab for each device and deselecting "Allow this device to wake the computer" seems to have solved preventing it going to sleep :). I tried differing combinations of having some of these on and some off and for me, it only works if they are all unchecked. So it looks like the Type Cover drivers are to blame. What's odd is even if the cover isn't connected it still won't sleep without these power setting adjustments.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for that info. It appears to have help mine stay in sleep mode.

I upgraded to Win 10, and had a few glitches. Wouldn't stay in sleep mode, and the mail client was crashed. My SP1 was also full of garbage anyway, so I went back to a fresh Win 8.0, did the updates, then to 8.1, then Win 10. Then I installed my apps. I have a ton more free space now.
I really like Win 10, so would hate to go back to 8.1. Right now I occasionally see the CPU running at close to 100% for a while, with nothing obvious running. Not sure what that is.

CrippsCorner

Might have to give some of these suggestions a go... noticed my fan come on a few times even when the screen is off! Anyone else experienced that?

Also, roughly 25% of the time, when I close the Type Cover, the Surface screen stays on :(

Magic

Mine started misbehaving again, so took the nuclear option.

Restored back to factory Windows 8, installed the shortcut update to enable the 8.1 update then waited and waited and waited some more for GWX to download Windows 10.

Took a while, but all seems to work correctly now.

VickiFL

Microsoft Edge drains the battery in sleep really bad. I did some detective work, and found that it was the only thing running. When I shut down Edge, I get a lot better battery life.

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

Still having sleep problems with my SP1. I'm setting it to hibernate after a very short time. Hope that helps.

f4f

I turned off all the apps from running in the background, including edge. If that doesn't work, I'm going to look into reverting back to 8.1. I don't use the type cover and mouse very often and use it more like a hand held tablet and I think 8.1 was an awesome interface for that! Will be keeping windows 10 on my desktop though....good thing it doesn't run on batteries.

Wayne Orwig

To follow up. Even hibernate did not work for me.
But, I found this info. At an elevated command prompt, run "powercfg /requests" which returned this:
SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

I had a constant network driver request. I was unable to find a driver issue, or a program that was doing requests. I entered an "override" command to mask it. Problem solved.

All of the details that I found at the time suggested that it is a network driver issue, and to get the latest network driver. But I have the latest drivers.

f4f

Nice job Wayne. I tried it on mine and this is what i got

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device (HDAUDIO
\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0280&SUBSYS_14141E20&REV_1000\4&ec27c28&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

There's no music playing. The only sound is the click tone of using the on screen keyboard. What do you think that means ??