What's new

Windows 10 upgrade warning/concern

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, so, I hadn't heard about this, so thought I'd report my experience. I went ahead and factory restored to Win8.1 using the latest image downloaded when I logged into the support site. During the initial Win8.1 setup, I was asked if I want to upgrade to Win10. That's new, obviously. I said yes, and was told the upgrade would download in the background and offer to install when ready.

That's all good, of course.

Now, though, my machine has been waiting all day, plenty of time for the upgrade to download, and nothing. So, yeah, good intentions and all that. And now I don't want to manually upgrade in case it messes up the automated process I'm supposed to have started.

Suddenly, I'm less enamored with the whole Win10 process than I once was.
I think you got nabbed by the fairly aggressive Upgrade AD... not some special benefit or service. :)

wynand32

I think you got nabbed by the fairly aggressive Upgrade AD... not some special benefit or service. :)

So, you're saying I'm not special?!? How dare you...

Seriously, though, this was during the setup process (you know, choose various installation options, choosing network, naming the machine, all that). So not the little Windows icon dealio. You might be talking about exactly what I'm referring to, but again, it was different than I'd seen. Might just be code that Microsoft injects in the setup process to get inline updates, etc.

Anyways, no matter what, I'm still stuck. The implication was that it would install immediately once downloaded, not put me into a queue. But crap, I'm tired of waiting.

Edit: Oh, and I keep getting a "Upgrade now" popup sporadically when I open Explorer, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Did I mention I'm getting frustrated?

wynand32

Oh, and incidentally, I really don't know what people keep complaining about re: Win8.1 vs. Win10. I do NOT like Win8.1 after going back to it. It's just as funky as I remembered.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can start Upgrade on demand with the Media Creation Tool, just use the Upgrade this PC now option.

wynand32

You can start Upgrade on demand with the Media Creation Tool, just use the Upgrade this PC now option.

Yep, was just going to report in that this is precisely what I did. Went perfectly, and wow, my SP3 is liking a clean upgrade vs. the preview. Lots of little nagging issues are gone.

It is odd, though. I wish I'd taken screenshots of the Windows 10 upgrade version that was injected into the setup process. There was the definite implication that the upgrade was going to be offered immediately, but it just never happened. I can imagine some less technical folks getting very confused and frustrated by it (even more than I, a fairly technical person, was confused and frustrated by it).