What's new

Windows 10 upgrade

seyclone

I opened Windows update this morning and saw that an attempted upgrade had failed. I clicked on restart the upgrade and it started to install VER 1511-10586. Total time for the upgrade was about 1 hour. So far, nothing looks different. Boot-up seems a little faster. Is there a site that lists the changes in the new version?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did mine. Got the failure the first time but it worked the second time. I read a tip somewhere to remove any SD card from the Surface while installing the update as there's a glitch that can cause the updates to fail to install if the SD card is mounted. I don't know if it was that or not but the update did complete after I removed the SD card.

On the whole it's similar for me. I'm hoping it'll improve battery life as my Sp3 is now only averaging 4 hours of life when I'm sure it was 5-6 on Win 8.

skidd

Still waiting for TH2 - 1511/10586. I heard this got pulled (location settings being re-set) and then re-deployed. However, Ive not yet had the update come through. I seem to get all the updates for defender coming through (almost daily it seems). Should I wait or try to force the update somehow. Update troubleshooter isn't reporting anything. Seems a bit odd as other PCs have updated.

rikracer

I'm in the same position, no update yet. Not in a real hurry, but would like to try out the update to edge.
Rick

skidd

Still no TH2.
Had loads of other updates, including a cumulative update (KB3116869). Seems strange.

leeshor

I have some Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 desktops that never have received the option to upgrade icon in the system tray. I do know that all or at least most of the option updates need to be installed on those systems. If you are on 10 and have all the patches that were available and still don't have TH2 you may want to use the media creation tool to create a USB drive with the files on it and upgrade from there. If you have anti virus installed you may want to temporarily uninstall it first.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm confused... I thought they pulled the TH2 update via the Media Creation Tool and are only allowing the original build to be downloaded.

That said I suppose you could make the media with the Media Creation Tool. Then download the TH2 update and use DISM to slipstream the TH2 update into the image. Geez Microsoft why don't you just give me the source files individually and let me compile it myself {he says sarcastically and stomps off in a huff}

Oh I guess you could just download the TH2 update and apply it manually ... I am really guessing here... AFAIK any individual update can be downloaded.

Update: seems this rudderless ship has changed course again based on the next post.
I guess just ignore all this but it's such a good and satisfying rant I'm going to leave it. :D

Last edited:

leeshor

They reposted it. I downloaded TH2 last week.

I built a system last week using it. It keeps me from having to download all those updates again.

Haldi

Phew....
I've restarted about 6 Times to get this update and the hardware update from the 26th installed.
But now it works.