What's new

windows 10 with Hyper-v enabled

Nagyn

Hi,

Just to tell you that I have installed windows 10 on my SP3, I have enabled Hyper-v and everything works fine, sleep mode still works. and I can boot up without having reset my wireless card.

Troy

OP
N

Nagyn

Yes. The wireless is there working as soon as you boot up. The only thing I haven't checked out yet is whether it drains the battery while in standby. (had a major problem with this using VMware).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Client Hyper-V in Windows 10 is Connected Standby Compatible....keep in mind that this is still pre-release so you'll encounter bugs....

OP
N

Nagyn

Hyper-v in itself doesn't drain the battery more than any program that is running using processing power will.

The issue I was referring to is that VirtualBox had a problem in that for some reason to do with the wireless card, when you want into connected standby it seems to keep the wireless going and it therefor drained the battery when you were not using it (8%/hour). MS solution to this problem was to disable Connected suspend. So we will see if it has the same problem when I disconnect from power tonight.

PilotGav

Can I ask what you would use HyperV for on a surface? Is there enough disk space/ram to make it worthwhile?

What are you running a virtual machine for? I'd love to know if there's a use I haven't thought of that makes more sense on a Surface than a laptop or server.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask what you would use HyperV for on a surface? Is there enough disk space/ram to make it worthwhile?

What are you running a virtual machine for? I'd love to know if there's a use I haven't thought of that makes more sense on a Surface than a laptop or server.
Mostly used by developers or IT people for testing, development and learning. I personally use Azure IaaS for my VM needs instead of using them locally.

OP
N

Nagyn

right my slightly crued test for power loss as the powercfg doesn't seem to be working.

I left my surface in sleep mode the last two night, it drained the battery at a rate of 1.6% per hour. Which I think is reasonable. That is with Hyper-V enabled.