What's new

Windows 11 on Surface Pro 3?

Plantje

My daughter desperately wants an iPad.... yes.... She wants it specifically for iArtBook and ProCreate. Now, I have let her play with Adobe Fresco on my Surface Pro 5 for a bit and she thinks that is very much ok as well!

Now, I COULD say:"You have my Surface Pro 5 Advanced LTE and I'll buy a Surface Pro 8. But as she is only 10, I think that is somewhat too expensive. So, I was thinking of buying her a second hand Surface Pro 3. Question is: would it be able to run Windows 11?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, why not get her an iPad? They are what like $330? $587 with pencil and keyboard. Great performance, great app selection... Seems perfect for a kid. It might not be the best productivity solution but for kids, you can't go wrong.

Officially the Pro 3 would not be supported. Yeah it will run W11.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

She already has a desktop. In case I get an older SP3 for her, I could replace that.
Otherwise, she'll have a desktop, an Android tablet, an Android phone and an iPad. That's the main reason.

An iPad sounds expensive. But then again, I should compare apples to apples (no pun intended) and compare a second hand iPad with a SP3.

Hard.Wired

She already has a desktop. In case I get an older SP3 for her, I could replace that.
Otherwise, she'll have a desktop, an Android tablet, an Android phone and an iPad. That's the main reason.

An iPad sounds expensive. But then again, I should compare apples to apples (no pun intended) and compare a second hand iPad with a SP3.
As much as I like my SP3, they are really starting to show their age. First is the aging battery, my old girl only gets about 3 hours under the best of conditions. Second is the intermittent System Interrupt hardware bug that rears its ugly head from time to time that further murders the battery.

I guess it depends on how low you can get one for these days.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Well then I think I will look for a nice Android tablet. Yes, an iPad holds its value longer and that means I will be paying more for it as well. And I think Samsung is coming this fast with new tablets, that the tablets that are sold somewhat cheaper are good value for money.

Thanks for your responses!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well then I think I will look for a nice Android tablet. Yes, an iPad holds its value longer and that means I will be paying more for it as well. And I think Samsung is coming this fast with new tablets, that the tablets that are sold somewhat cheaper are good value for money.

Thanks for your responses!
The knock on Android "Tablets" is a lot of Android apps don't really support tablets meaning you may get a small phone-sized window and it may be in portrait mode and doesn't, rotate. I have had that issue. That said Samsung does a great job with their OS on tablets and they are the undisputed king of Android Tablets. I do think drawing on a Samsung tablet would probably be a pretty good experience although my drawing talent is extremely limited. I can do mechanical drawing and essentially stick figures otherwise :). I stand by my iPad recommendation.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

And that is also part of my issue: my daughter doesn't draw that great either. For some reason she has the idea that having iArtBook and ProCreate will change that :)

macster

My daughter desperately wants an iPad.... yes.... She wants it specifically for iArtBook and ProCreate. Now, I have let her play with Adobe Fresco on my Surface Pro 5 for a bit and she thinks that is very much ok as well!

Now, I COULD say:"You have my Surface Pro 5 Advanced LTE and I'll buy a Surface Pro 8. But as she is only 10, I think that is somewhat too expensive. So, I was thinking of buying her a second hand Surface Pro 3. Question is: would it be able to run Windows 11?
The answer is yes for the 8MB/256GB config.

M~

macster

Yeah that's great mine just updated today, I was shocked. However I'm still going to get a renewed S7 as the old girl is showing her age.

M~