What's new

Windows 8.0 on SP2

amk.

So, I´m having some free time and decided to experiment with my surface and try to find a fix/cause to the insanely annoying crash from sleep issue.

The well known problem:
- Sleep tablet.
- Wake it up -> Fans spins, it turns itself off.
- Turn it on, ID41 issue on event viewer.

What I have tried so far:

- Updated my recovery image with March updates (i updated it in feb), reinstalled from scratch (created new partitions and everyting). Result: Sleep not reliable, it still crash when resuming.

- Decided to give a try to Windows 8.1 Update 1:
- got all the files, updated, no issues at first. The high CPU usage when powering off and then on with a microSD inserted is still there. Sleep seems to be way more reliable than it is now on W8.1, but it still crashes.
- Sleeping the tablet and connecting / disconnecting the cover while it is suspended will prevent the tablet from waking up. Event viewer shows a driver crash when resuming. I think this is cause W8.1 U1 is not officially released and the Cover drivers are not 100% compatible.

- Windows 8.0: After that I remembered I have a Windows 8 image from my "old" Surface Pro 1, so I decided to give it a try. Copied it to the USB, reformated everything and got it up and running. Installed a couple missing drivers using the March update zip. To my surprise.... Windows 8.0 runs ROCK SOLID. Not a single crash, tried connecting/disconnecting the cover, power, spamming for 10 minutes the power button and making it sleep/resume non-stop. It just works.

- Sadly Windows 8.0 interface is just unusable, I hate it with passion... so I tried updating from the Store to Windows 8.1 and see how it turns out. Result: first sleep -> crash.

Something is just wrong in Windows 8.1, and it does not seems to be fixed in Windows 8.1 Update 1 :(

Just wanted to share my experiences with different W8 versions and their results,

Have a nice day :)

be77solo

Props for the tests! That is an interesting experience you've shared and I totally understand your frustration. I too struggled for months with the Sleep crash issue, and nothing helped (well tried everything, except I stayed with 8.1).

I finally exchanged my SP2 in desperation, and my replacement has been rock solid for over a month now of daily usage and now use sleep multiples time a day. I honestly thought this was a software/firmware/driver issue, but using the exact same install image and drivers, the new device just simply works. Period. For over a month. I've tried to make it crash and it has yet to... I've plugged/unplugged power, removed and attached the type 2 cover, let is sleep, let it hibernate, everything I could think of and it has simply worked. Every time. I've even started to use the Power Cover, which I thought might create issues with sleep stability when removed or attached, but it still remains totally reliable.

I was getting crashes like you report daily with my previous device and refused to think it was hardware related. I documented my struggles over on forum.tabletpcreview.com and answers.microsoft.com.

As crazy as it sounds, I think the issues you are having and I was having are actually hardware issues of some kind. I had a device that behaved exactly like yours, but the replacement is so far 100% reliable regarding the sleep crash issue.

My only remaining issue is the high CPU usage problem, but that compared to the Sleep crash isn't a deal breaker as a quick sleep solves it. By no means an excuse and it must be fixed, but I was ready to throw my SP2 in the trash over the sleep issue.

OP
A

amk.

Im getting to that desperation point too. MS offered me an exchange machine. Sadly ill be getting a refurbished machine.. and who knows in what state (I have read some horror stories already). Mine has a full skin installed and a screen protector since taking it out of the box, if the replacement has a single, mini-scratch on the screen ill just go nuts... main reason I have not exchanged mine yet :/

Edit: thinking about it a bit more.... Sleep crash > scratch. Ill just write back to MS and hope for the best.

Last edited:

be77solo

Im getting to that desperation point too. MS offered me an exchange machine. Sadly ill be getting a refurbished machine.. and who knows in what state (I have read some horror stories already). Mine has a full skin installed and a screen protector since taking it out of the box, if the replacement has a single, mini-scratch on the screen ill just go nuts... main reason I have not exchanged mine yet :/
I got a bad refurb originally, and was livid, and might be one of the stories you've read here ha... I stayed cool talking to MS however and was put in touch with Surface CARE, where an actual agent helps with your exchange. Hopefully you won't need that extra step, but don't hesitate exchanging your unit. They do want you to end up with a replacement you are happy with. I talked to my agent 4-5 times during the process and he was always helpful and always seemed to care, and ultimately I ended up with a perfect unit that is either brand new or looks just like it without issue.