What's new

Windows 8.1 booting to webcam

Throwaway87

Hello,

I recently wiped my surface for a fresh start. 2 days later it updated itself to windows 8.1. Just now I went to my computer. It was asleep. I clicked the mouse once and it opened the webcam. The webcam was on and pointed at the ceiling. I have never used the webcam on my surface. I have no idea how to use the webcam on my surface. This was very creepy. Is this normal behaviour? I recently was browsing the biz section of 4chan and am nervous that someone has remotely taken control of my computer and was trying to view my webcam. Is this possible?

OP
T

Throwaway87

To add to it I have repeated it and it keeps booting to my webcam every time. If my computer goes to sleep and I click my mouse the webcam comes up. Why is it doing this?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swipe left and go to Settings - Change PC Settings - Privacy - Webcam

Either turn it off completely or select specific apps.

While you are there look over and change General, Location, Microphone, Other devices settings as well.

In addition tape a piece of paper over your webcam. Id like to see someone hack that.

Last edited:
OP
T

Throwaway87

What model is your Surface?
The original pro

I’m thinking when I updated to 8.1 I didn’t realize that swiping down opens thebwebcam. So when I aggressively clicked my mouse I was in effect clicking and pulling down slightly thereby opening the webcam. Does that make sense?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The original pro

I’m thinking when I updated to 8.1 I didn’t realize that swiping down opens thebwebcam. So when I aggressively clicked my mouse I was in effect clicking and pulling down slightly thereby opening the webcam. Does that make sense?

Yes, that can happen. Did you try the fix posted by @GreyFox7 ?