What's new

Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro

Buzza

Does anyone know how/if the Pro will be updated to Windows 8.1?

I'm hoping it's just through Windows update?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Windows Update part makes it available in the Store, the actual upgrade is handled through the Store. You install the optional update first then you will see the bits offered through the store.

Codevine

Keep in mind it's just a preview version and you'll probably have to do a clean Windows 8 install, you probably won't be able to just upgrade your current Windows 8 through the Windows Store anytime soon.

mitchellvii

Keep in mind it's just a preview version and you'll probably have to do a clean Windows 8 install, you probably won't be able to just upgrade your current Windows 8 through the Windows Store anytime soon.

I plan on doing a dirty dirty install.

I read that 8.1 will actually increase our screens to 11.6 inches and make the kickstand adjustable.

* Seriously though, I'm curious to see if they have fixed the zoom bug for external monitors.

Last edited:

jeffskent

I just installed Win 8.1. It took about an hour and all is well. I changed my lock screen on my Surface Pro to be the desktop picture I use on the desktop. It looks good, fast, and I have yet to figure out how to boot directly to the desktop. One of the few complaints I have for Win 8 is that I find the apps don't function as well as on standard Win 7 applications. I'm referring specifically to Kindle, Evernote, and any file search apps or picture display apps, at least as far as I can tell up to now.